Romany Classic and Atlantic lv, the same but different?

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Grian

Romany Classic and Atlantic lv, the same but different?

Post by Grian » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:08 pm

The stats of these two boats are almost identical so far as I can see. Same length, 1l volume difference, 1cm difference in width. They also look alike, both an archetypal beautiful-kayak-shape. I believe the atlantic was produced first and it has been said the Romany was modelled on it...

All that being so I expected the Atlantic to feel just like my Romany, but I sat in one today - on land - and it didn't. Apart from the seat being SO much more comfortable I also felt more connected and it gave the impression of being an 'lv' while the Romany feels spacious, surprising as they are statistically so similar.

Can anyone who has paddled both comment on how similar or different they are afloat? It looks as though the Atlantic might have a little less rocker?

simon64

Re: Romany Classic and Atlantic lv, the same but different?

Post by simon64 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:16 pm

The Atlantic LV started life as the Shoreline, quite a long time ago, it had just two small round hatches, newer versions played with large fibreglass hatches (shoreline fuego) and has now settled on its current deck layout, in my experience the Romany felt very different, unfortunately they seemed to vary a lot depending on vintage, inpaddled one on a course and really liked it, but when i tried one again with the view to buying it felt nothing like the previous kayak, i found the Romany not as comfortable as the NS and was more responsive due to the higher rocker, unfortunately NS kayaks are now built by Valley not by Mike Nelson.
I may re visit the Romany in future if i go back to glass kayaks, as the design is basically great.

TheEcho

Post by TheEcho » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:16 pm

I have paddled a Romany and my partner’s Sirona which she reckons has a lot in common with an Atlantic that she tried, which makes sense as Valley bought northshore. The Sirona/Atlantic secondary stability is excellent and the kayak can be edged a long way while feeling stable. The Romany isn’t keen on being edged quite as far (although naturally this will depend on the paddler’s skill and body size and shape) but a Romany or Pilgrim almost never needs a skeg, which is not true of the Sirona/Atlantic.

Of course your mileage may vary.

Grian

Post by Grian » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:52 am

Interesting insights thanks guys.

I love my Romany and for comfort could probably obtain a Valley seat - which was so comfortable it felt like cheating. Though the new NDK seats are better than the old by a long way they still are not a pleasure for the backside! Are seats transferable between makes...

I was curious to see if there is another boat that has the same reassuring stability but a little more glide. Appearing to have less rocker I thought that could be the Atlantic LV. Sounds as though it is on a par for stability in any case.

I have tried the Cetus lv and it had an entirely different feel on the water, the xplore lv felt more familiar, very fast, but a little less stable... both felt more connected and ‘lv’. Both clearly quite different boats of course.

TheEcho

Post by TheEcho » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:14 am

You might want to try a composite Tempest 165. It paddles very much like a Romany, slightly less rocker. But the new ones have quite a fancy seat with whitewater style outfitting. I have the plastic version which obviously has a bit less glide.

SJD

Post by SJD » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:05 pm

Alaw Bach

Grian

Post by Grian » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:07 pm

SJD wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:05 pm
Alaw Bach
That’s succinct! :) It is a faster Romany?

They describe it as suiting medium to large paddlers though.

Grian

Post by Grian » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:10 pm

TheEcho wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:14 am
You might want to try a composite Tempest 165. It paddles very much like a Romany, slightly less rocker. But the new ones have quite a fancy seat with whitewater style outfitting. I have the plastic version which obviously has a bit less glide.
I’ve never come across one but a quick look on the web and I found others making the same comparison.

SJD

Post by SJD » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:20 pm

Grian wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:07 pm
SJD wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:05 pm
Alaw Bach
That’s succinct! :) It is a faster Romany?

They describe it as suiting medium to large paddlers though.
Perhaps the Isel

rockhopper

Post by rockhopper » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:01 pm

I own an Alaw Bach and and Isel. Had the Alaw for years and it is a fantastic boat to paddle. Got the Isel a couple of years ago and it has become my boat of choice (unless multi-day paddling/camping). It has all the good traits of the Alaw but is that bit more manoeuvrable, lighter, responsive...a real delight. In terms of paddler size I am about 10 stone and 5' 8" (in old money terms) and probably couldn't be too mkuch bigger and fit in the Isel but the Alaw Bach has been paddled by friends who are 14st and over 6 foot without too much trouble.

Rog.

Grian

Post by Grian » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:50 pm

I get the sense the Isel might be a snugger boat than the Atlantic lv and I'd be shoehorning my hips in. By all the accounts I've seen it is very nice indeed. We are lucky to have a good range of excellent smaller boats, maybe less so if you are really petite I guess, but just below average and there are a number.