Time for a new PDF

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Mark Gawler
Site Admin

Time for a new PDF

Post by Mark Gawler »

My much loved, ten plus year old Palm Kaikoura has finally reached the end of its useful life, the zips failing and it hase questionable a level of buoyancy. Before I splash out on a direct replacement what else is out there that comes highly recommended.

Must have features are:
Multiple pockets for VHF, PLB, Camera, paddling snacks, Car keys etc.
Platypus pocket for water.
Front zip.

Dose anyone have experience of the Peek Explorer Zip in comparison to the Palm Kaikoura?
Mark Gawler

Ken_T

Re: Time for a new PDF

Post by Ken_T »

I use a Palm Kaikoura, I have just bought another as a replacement as my first was worn out. My Wife had a Peak Adventure Zip, which at the time was the competitor to the Kaikoura, but she prefered the Kaikoura which she chose as the replacement, but there was no big thing that persuaded her, so I think you will have to look at both.
Ken

Mrstratos61

Post by Mrstratos61 »

Astral sea wolf. I hardly know mine's on. Clamshell pocket on front is great.

Stoney Mike

Post by Stoney Mike »

I also have an Astral sea wolf and really like it. However, it doesn't have a platypus pocket, and there isn't a pocket that fits a VHF, I clip my VHF onto a shoulder strap. But as the previous post said, it is very comfy, and it has plenty of space for snacks, PLB, keys etc.

TheEcho

Post by TheEcho »

May depend on the VHF. Mine will go in the seawolf clamshell pocket.

Stoney Mike

Post by Stoney Mike »

Fair enough, probably due to me having a more bulky DSC VHF. I carry a PLB, keys, phone and snacks in the clamshell pocket. I might have to try rearranging stuff to see if I can fit it in there.

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton »

I looked at replacing mine a couple of months ago and the Kaikoura was the best match to my requirements, which were the same as yours. Pockets seem to be the key decision point.

pathbrae

Post by pathbrae »

Yup.

Tried the peak explorer, Kokatat MsFit but went with another Kaikoura. It's not exactly the same as the old one so check it out before you buy it - but it's the closest I could find.
So much sea - so little time to see it.

Mrstratos61

Post by Mrstratos61 »

My sea wolf takes a camelback reservoir no problem. Tube guide on straps

Stoney Mike

Post by Stoney Mike »

Just checked mine and it turns out I was talking rubbish! Never knew it had a pouch for a bladder system, thanks for enlightening me!

jmmoxon

Post by jmmoxon »

Where have all the pendants gone? Nobody picked up on pfd v pdf?
http://kayakworldguide.forums-free.com Links to websites with info on white water, touring, sea & surf.

Drahcir Ris

Post by Drahcir Ris »

"Where have all the pendants gone?"

The pedants are checking what you meant by 'pendants". And I get my pdf's from Adobe.

andynormancx

Post by andynormancx »

Stoney Mike wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:58 pm
Just checked mine and it turns out I was talking rubbish! Never knew it had a pouch for a bladder system, thanks for enlightening me!
Where is the pouch for the bladder ? I watched several video reviews last night and read the specs of it on a few websites, none of them mentioned having a place for a bladder pack ?!

Mac50L

Post by Mac50L »

Mark Gawler wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:23 pm
My much loved, ten plus year old Palm Kaikoura has finally reached the end of its useful life,...
Some background to a name -

I can't find the PDF about Kaikoura but I think you are actually talking about a Personal Flotation Device, PFD.

However, I'm surprised they used the name Kaikoura as it is a town on the east coast of the South Island of New Zealand. Whale watching is its main attraction.

From the web you might find -

"Literally, the name Kaikoura means “to eat crayfish”. It is said that the full name is Te Ahi-kai-koura-a-Tamatea-pokai-whenua meaning “the fire which Tamatea-pokai-whenua made to cook crayfish”. The legendary traveller stayed at Kaikoura Peninsula to cook crayfish during a journey."

kai = food, koura = crayfish

The journey, though I can't find reference to it was, as I was told, chasing errant wives but the koura, the crayfish were worth stopping to eat, more important than chasing after wives who had run off.

Crayfish, like a lobster without the big pincers.

Stoney Mike

Post by Stoney Mike »

andynormancx wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:32 am

Where is the pouch for the bladder ? I watched several video reviews last night and read the specs of it on a few websites, none of them mentioned having a place for a bladder pack ?!
There's a space between the mesh and the back foam with a pocket at the bottom which looks like it would nicely hold a bladder, and a hole to feed the hose through where the back meets the shoulder strap.

seawolf856

Post by seawolf856 »

Another vote for the Kaikorura and believe me I've tried a lot of PFDs

Mark Gawler
Site Admin

Post by Mark Gawler »

Thank you for all the replys, the Astral sea wolf doesn't really fit my needs. I like a front zip so I can easily remove it at sea to put on/ take off a cage. Seperate pockets are essential so I can easily get to one item without having to rummage amongst all the other stuff.

The Kaikorura is looking a very strong contender.

I would like to blame auto correct for the PDF / PFD issue, but that would a lie.
Mark Gawler

MYSSAK

Post by MYSSAK »

I had Kaikoura for number of years. I realised before the trip last summer it’s time to replaced it. After some research I bought Kokatat Maximus Centurion. I know it is WW BA but it gives me more freedom to paddle and rotate than any other BA I tried before. Really easy to take off and put back on even in choppy seas and I am really happy with pocket arrangement.
Plus when I venture on river ones or twice a year I have nice BA to wear.

Michal

andynormancx

Post by andynormancx »

I must have a look at that next time I bump into you Michal.

Jim

Post by Jim »

You can get Adobe DC on subscription, then just create a new PDF whenever you need one.

With respect to buoyancy aids, I don't completely understand your issue with the sea wolf vs a front zip for taking on and off at sea - I can't remember a front zip ever being as easy to remove as the 2 side release clips on the sea wolf, if that is a genuine reason I reccommend you try one on and see if you still feel the same.

I went out in my Taran with a cag on a couple of months ago because it was windy and soon got too hot. I managed to take off a vest type BA and the cag, and put the BA back on all on my own - admittedly not the wildest conditions I've ever been out in, but certainly not flat calm. My sea wolf would have been a lot easier.

Mark Gawler
Site Admin

Post by Mark Gawler »

Jim wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:12 pm
You can get Adobe DC on subscription, then just create a new PDF whenever you need one.
Jim wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:12 pm
With respect to buoyancy aids, I don't completely understand your issue with the sea wolf vs a front zip for taking on and off at sea - I can't remember a front zip ever being as easy to remove as the 2 side release clips on the sea wolf, if that is a genuine reason I reccommend you try one on and see if you still feel the same.

I went out in my Taran with a cag on a couple of months ago because it was windy and soon got too hot. I managed to take off a vest type BA and the cag, and put the BA back on all on my own - admittedly not the wildest conditions I've ever been out in, but certainly not flat calm. My sea wolf would have been a lot easier.
Thanks Jim, I will go and experiment in my local Kayak shop, this could prove expensive as they are now a Tiderace Dealer.
Mark Gawler

jmmoxon

Post by jmmoxon »

Various encouraging noises coming out of paddle expo about new peak B/A:
http://www.unsponsored.co.uk/press/peak ... -wrap-pfd/

Mike
http://kayakworldguide.forums-free.com Links to websites with info on white water, touring, sea & surf.

MikeB

Post by MikeB »

K/tat MS Fit.