Sea Kayaking Clubs in South Wales?

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Maverick777

Sea Kayaking Clubs in South Wales?

Post by Maverick777 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:50 am

Hi,

I read advice on here and other forums and FB to join a Kayak Club and try as many different kayaks as possible. I currently have a Wilderness Tarpon 120, which is a great workhorse. But I would like to experience how different a Sea Kayak is. Are their any clubs in the South Wales area, closer to the NP12 area, where I can either join to to try different types please?

Thanks

simon64

Re: Sea Kayaking Clubs in South Wales?

Post by simon64 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:08 pm

There is sea kayak Cymru on facebook, they organise trips, I would also suggest getting in touch with Escape watersports or Up and under, they both have demo sea kayaks to try.
Coming from a Tarpon maybe try something like the Dagger Stratos, not a full on sea kayak but a great design that will do most things well, rivers and sea.

jmmoxon

Post by jmmoxon » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:39 pm

Similar request from a few years ago:
viewtopic.php?t=95256

Mike
http://kayakworldguide.forums-free.com Links to websites with info on white water, touring, sea & surf.

Maverick777

Post by Maverick777 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:30 pm

I joined the Cymru Kayak FB page. Most advice was to join a club. Contacted two local clubs, one did not do Sea Kayak, despite advertising that they did and the other never replied. Had one offer for a try on a Sea Kayak, but sadly when I tried to take up the offer, his roof rack was not working.......

simon64

Post by simon64 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:48 pm

I think the FB lot just divided into small groups who just do their own thing, when i was paddling with them it seemed to be going a bit “hardcore” for my tastes, I tried organising a few more relaxed trips but most people seemed to want epic trips, or big distance, so i gave up with them and paddle mostly alone or with mates who prefer a chilled experience, each to their own.
If you are buying a kayak, you need to consider what you want to do with it, as a fast straight line carbon expedition kayak may look great but not suit someone wanting to mainly explore rock gardens and caves, where a shorter agile plastic kayak may be a better bet, there are some good general purpose designs around though, also everyone has different preferences on stability, comfort etc.

Maverick777

Post by Maverick777 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:36 am

The Dagger Stratos looks nice.

simon64

Post by simon64 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:52 am

It is, perfect for pottering around the coast, surfing and easier rivers, though have seem
a video of one being used in grade 4, if you have Instagram look at liquidfusion, they use them for fairly extreme rock hopping.
I had a mate try mine who had used SOT kayaks and he loved it.
You can try mine, its a S, but looking at your previous posts you would probabaly need a L, escape watersports in Pyle did have some on sale, seconds i think, amd they probabaly have a demo one to try and up and under in Cardiff stock them as well.

Maverick777

Post by Maverick777 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:33 pm

Thanks for the kind offer.

Fozzy

Post by Fozzy » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:44 pm

Hi

I'm a member of the Sea Kayak Cymru FB group despite living in Somerset. I joined a few years ago now as a very inexperienced sea paddler and was warmly welcomed. Now I'm a leader/coach myself.
Yes the advice to join a club is good and there are a lot of "hardcore" trips now, but that's because the most active people are a small nucleus who are now very experienced, but not all trips are like that. A typical weekend out west will include Ramsey Island, but you don't have to do the Bitches and there's plenty of excellent easy trips too.
Can I suggest you just post some messages asking to join trips and state what you've done, your boat will be fine to start with but a Stratos is an excellent day boat for pretty much any conditions and generally people will let you have a go in their boats.
Kay Cokeley organises weekly rescue and rolling sessions at Newton beach and anyone is welcome. Give her a shout.

jamesl2play

Post by jamesl2play » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:09 pm

I have been a member of the Sea Kayak Cymru FB page since it was first started. Obviously peoples ideas of 'hardcore', epic and long distance vary considerably.
I always thought we were quite a friendly bunch but apparently that is not the case.

Sorry about the roof rack 'excuse' but I did actually have to sell me car as it was terminal. I have now bought a van and, for the moment, struggle to get a sea kayak onto the roof on my own.

Maverick777

Post by Maverick777 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:58 pm

Technical issues happen and I was not having a dig. It's just one of those things. I don't think anyone as suggested, that it's not a friendly group, but as you pointed out, yow were a founding member. But I did giggle to myself when I young girl posted a question, she was swamped with replies....I must change my profile. lol.

Murray carp

Post by Murray carp » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:10 pm

Seems appropriate for a shameless plug for the “New” South Wales Sea Kayak Club, which is getting a new web page this week!

https://www.nswseakayaker.asn.au/

Maverick777

Wilderness Tarpon 120 leak issues. Palm Equipment Europe

Post by Maverick777 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:29 pm

Hi All,

Since owning my Tarpon 120, I have had to return it to the manufactures Palm UK https://palmequipmenteurope.com/ because of leak issues. The first time I took the 120 to Palm HQ myself (100 mile round trip) were they replaced the hatch, with the latest design, but unfortunately the leak continued. On the second occasion, they agreed to collect it, which was cheaper for me, except they cancelled the collection date at short notice.

After a two week assessment they have issued a credit note to the value of the boat only, sent back to the original supplier. I have not been compensated to all the time and effort I have endured or the time without by 120. What saddens me most, is that this was a thank-you and Xmas gift from my terminally ill Father In Law, who has now passed away, so it holds sentimental value. I was not even offered a sorry.

It would appear that the hatches are the Achilles heel for the 120, I note they are no longer advertised on their Website, but are manufactured under licence in the UK.

Cheers