Suitable kayak for a novice

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
JohnShimell

Suitable kayak for a novice

Post by JohnShimell » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:15 am

Hello All, I was hoping for some advice. My son is interested in kayaking after spending a week at an adventure/outdoor activity camp on the Isle of Wight. He is soon to be 18 and we wanted to get him a kayak for his birthday. At the camp he used a single sit on sea kayak, and found that suitable, but I was after advice on a suitable kayak. He is 6ft 3 and enjoyed being on the sea, but would also use on local rivers/canals. He is not interested in anything too extreme, just enjoyed paddling and the sens of motion, he may also want to try fishing off of it.

Some questions:
Are the inflatable kayaks any good, and if so any brands particularly?
if not inflatable, are sit in or sit on more suitable?
Any recommended brands - we don't want to spend too much on this initially until he has done more and we know it will get used!
We live in Chichester - any recommended local shops?

Many thanks for any advice you could give.

John.

rockhopper

Re: Suitable kayak for a novice

Post by rockhopper » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:24 pm

Hi John,

not sure I would recommend an inflatable, especially when there may be fishing hooks involved.
Sounds like a sit on top would be the best option. Very user friendly and easy to paddle. Great as a base to fish off and perfect for just enjoying the experience of being on the water. He can always change to a sit inside kayak once he gets the bug!
Don't know the area so cannot recommend a local shop but worth you Googling as there are bound to be in your area. Have a chat with a number of them and get an idea of what they are recommending and then see if you can pick one up second hand on ebay if costs is an issue...they do hold their value quite well though so not necessarily a great saving. Brands like Perception and Ocean Kayak are better known and respected and have been around for a while but there are lots of other options too.

Rog.

Mini2

Post by Mini2 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:36 pm

I did get a cheap inflatable first , every time I used it I got a puncture and it had a lot of drag ,
Then I got a sit on top fishing kayak one of them ebay ones you see new for about £300 ,
Which I found really good for general sea use . Took it on the river too , no rapids .
Also a bit of surfing at local beach .
I loved it.
One thing I will say check weight capacity ,
Only recently sold it, cause I wanted to take it further , and got a sit in ,
As your son advances if he wants to get a sit in (river runner or creak boat) then I would recommend a proper make Dagger, pyrahna, etc
Read and watch review's online ,
It's worth looking secondhand and comparing price against new.
Happy paddling..

Sent from my P00C using Tapatalk

JohnShimell

Post by JohnShimell » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:59 pm

Thanks for replies all, much appreciated.

Ken_T

Post by Ken_T » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:05 pm

Hi John,
I would recomend joining a club. You will be able to try several boats & there will be experienced paddlers & probably coaches who can help him progress.
Ken

JohnShimell

Post by JohnShimell » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:27 am

Thanks Ken - we have looked for local clubs and there seem to be a couple of options.