Best iphone ap or website for long term tides?

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
on the rocks

Best iphone ap or website for long term tides?

Post by on the rocks » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:49 pm

What is the best app or website for getting detailed tide information? Particularly for planning trips weeks or months ahead. I understand that this information may not come for free and I may have to may a subscription?

Thanks

andynormancx

Re: Best iphone ap or website for long term tides?

Post by andynormancx » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:13 am

My favourite iPhone app for long term tides is called Absolute Tides. It has a slightly quirky user interface, but it will give you the whole year ahead of tides.

As you guessed it isn’t free, you pay for each year worth of data.

It also has tidal stream maps within it, which can be very useful.

AGNorwich

Post by AGNorwich » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:10 am

visitmyharbour.com reproduces the admiralty tide tables for the current year. For example:

http://www.visitmyharbour.com/tides/10/ ... ide-tables

And as an approximate guide, times of low and high tides have a close relationship to the phase of the moon - So there are full moons on 24th September and 24th October and there are high waters at Plymouth 5.19 and 5.22 on those days. Work out how many days you are before or after a full or new moon and use free tide predictions for the equivalent days during next week (allowing for BST/GMT conversions if you are comparing winter and summer). This isn't always going to be as exact as the Plymouth example but it should be accurate to within an hour.

The biggest tides always occur a couple of days after full and new moons, so are always around the same time of day at any one spot. If your favourite tidal feature needs big spring tides, it will always operate at a similar time of day - the Severn Bore is always around 9 in the morning or 9 at night.

AG

John K

Post by John K » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:19 pm

I use Tides Planner by Imray. It’s a free app but if you want more that 7 days ahead it costs £3.99 a year.

on the rocks

Post by on the rocks » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:38 am

Thanks, I went for Absolute Tides. £2.99 for a year's tides is good value

seawolf856

Post by seawolf856 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:12 pm

'Tides near me' is another good (7 day) free app and is very quick and easy to use.
For day trips, I can't remember the last time I planned more than a week ahead as the weather forecast is never accurate enough that far ahead to guarantee you can paddle anyway.
For long term planning I would revert to standard tide tables (in my case Liverpool) and calculate local conditions using offsets published in local guides.

PlymouthDamo

Post by PlymouthDamo » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:26 pm

I didn't respond to this thread as the OP was looking for an iPhone app, but now they're sorted out: there's a free Android app which will give you tides around the world for over a year ahead. 'Tide Prediction' by 'Muchoviento.net'. It's on the Google Play market. Works fine.

jmmoxon

Post by jmmoxon » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:15 pm

When I tried tide prediction it only recognised Bristol & East London in USA...
http://kayakworldguide.forums-free.com Links to websites with info on white water, touring, sea & surf.

PlymouthDamo

Post by PlymouthDamo » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:35 pm

jmmoxon wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:15 pm
When I tried tide prediction it only recognised Bristol & East London in USA...
Setting it up for the location you want is its least user-friendly feature. If you can't guess the name of the nearest town that the app recognises (e.g. in my case it's Devonport, England) then the app doesn't help you. However, there is another way:

(1) Settings (three dots in top right)
(2) 'Change location'
(3) 'Search by location' and hit 'Search'
(4) This will show you your nearest tide station, but beneath that is a list of others getting gradually further away, with little arrows pointing their direction from you.

Using this list, I was able to quickly identify that Avonmouth and Newport are the two closest to Bristol and Sheerness is the closes to East London. I don't know how this level of detail compares to a paid app, but I've found that when looking at local tide movements, you normally end up referring to charts which tell you what the local tides are doing with reference to a bigger station, such as Dover, which is covered by this app. This is how 'visitmyharbour' gives the times for local tidal stream movements. Or when I'm paddling up the River Tamar, you can find online charts which tell you how the tide differs from Devonport at various points.

One other thing - this app corrects for daylight saving hours, so whatever time the app tells you will be what you should expect to be seeing on your watch.

Sean_soup

Post by Sean_soup » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:50 pm

AGNorwich wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:10 am
And as an approximate guide, times of low and high tides have a close relationship to the phase of the moon
With this in mind - if we're opening this up to Android apps now, here's a plug for 'Daff Moon' to tell you the phase of the moon on any given date.

It's a pretty thin excuse to recommend that app tbh, but it is quite a wonderful thing. It also gives much info on the Sun and the planets. (Rising/setting/transit times, times for civil/nautical/astronomical twilight, compass bearing to where on the horizon everything will rise and set, all sorts.)

Completely free and no adverts either. :-)

jmmoxon

Post by jmmoxon » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:52 am

North Somerset have annual tide tables on their website & next two months printed in their magazine, giving tidal constants for other local towns. Timings of surfable springs at bitches & falls of lora are pretty similar (as is Severn bore, unsurprisingly) - just need to know the difference to your area (unless you live around the Isle of Wight) - other areas must do as well...

Mike
http://kayakworldguide.forums-free.com Links to websites with info on white water, touring, sea & surf.