An interesting Ebay Kayak.

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Andrew UK

An interesting Ebay Kayak.

Post by Andrew UK » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:33 am

Hi,
I've recently bought what I think is an ebay bargain.

I'm hoping someone can shed some light on the history or "provenance" of this kayak. Model name, year of manufacture etc.

The kayak is exactly 16 feet long, with a 20" beam. It weighs probably about 35-40 kg. Apart from the odd knock she's in mint condition, I have new hatch covers coming.

It has a Pure Perfection custom sticker on the front deck and a YNYS sticker either side of the bow. I can see that it has been built to a high specification. With even a compass on the deck. But what I'm really amazed with, is there is no give in any part of the kayak it's like it's made of steel. YNYS takes me to Howard Jeffs, I imagine he's made hundreds of kayaks over the years, there's nothing specific I can find related to this model. I have emailed info @ Howard jeffs but I'm also interested in the life after manufacture.

The finish colour is quite unusual, pink with a blue paint splatter effect. Unique.

I've bought it to paddle up and down the Thames at Goring, Oxfordshire, so these high end features are probably wasted. Maybe she can have a graceful retirement, however the way she's built I think she'll outlive me.

Cheers Andrew

Chris Bolton

Re: An interesting Ebay Kayak.

Post by Chris Bolton » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:35 am

Pure Perfection was Howard's kayak brand. He built a Vyneck for me in 1989, and at that time was working from premises in Llangefni on Anglesey. As I remember it, I asked him to add the extra bulkhead and offset hatch behind the cockpit, which was not standard on any kayak at the time, but appears on the Ynys. His website (I assume the one you found) says he designed the Ynys in 1989 and worked for Valley from 1990, so your Ynys must be from that period.

By coincidence, it has two features I added to my Vyneck, post purchase, the knee tube and the foam inserts in the side of the cockpit, which are to reduce the amount of water taken in when the boat is floating on it's side, making re-entry rolls and subsequent emptying easier.

The rear hatch doesn't look original. It would have had a Valley oval hatch, which tended to leak unless you knew that the lip had to be tucked into a recess. Maybe the owener was fed up witht the oval hatch and replaced with a round one?

Andrew UK

Post by Andrew UK » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:13 am

Thanks for the reply and info.
So the model name is Ynys.
At nearly 30 years old, it's quite amazing what great condition she's in .
I've just been out for a first paddle in her. Solid and stable, I'm not completely OK yet with the small cockpit, but with her being so tough it's easy to practice sliding in and out on dry land.
Did yours have the funky colour scheme?

Cheers

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:10 am

Did yours have the funky colour scheme
No, I chose my colours; white hull, yellow deck and red seam. It wouldn't surprise me if your boat was built for Howard's own use (noting the solid construction, knee tube and cockpit buoyancy) with the colour scheme intended to be noticed and kick off his sales pitch.

Andrew UK

Post by Andrew UK » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:07 pm

I've had a reply from Howard:

Hi Andrew
Great to hear from you.
The last time I saw this boat it was on the canoe racks of the Ardur Centre on the south coast about 2 years ago.
I remember building it with Aled Williams (Tide Race) in about 1988 for Kevin Danforth.
It was called the Ynys (Welsh for Island) & developed from an old design called the Lindisfarn from the NE. It was ahead of the the game in its day!
Should be a good strong boat! Enjoy!!!!
Cheers
Howard

Andrew UK

Post by Andrew UK » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:57 pm

I figure the colour has something to do with this :

The North Sea has been previously kayaked. In 1989 Franco Ferrero and Kevin Danforth paddled a pink double, nicknamed 'the spam boat' across in record time. I vaguely recall interviewing them on a Northumberland beach for the regional TV programme Look North.

simon64

Post by simon64 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:59 pm

The Ynys was featured a lot in Nigel Fosters original sea kayaking book, heres some images.

Last edited by simon64 on Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

simon64

Post by simon64 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:00 pm

simon64

Post by simon64 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:02 pm

Andrew UK

Post by Andrew UK » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:19 pm

They're superb photos, thank you.

I'm purely a novice kayaker, just plowing up and down the Thames with my dog and daughter . Seeing those photos makes me think would the Nyns still be classed as a good boat, or has technology and design been improved upon so much that it would be considered obsolete?

Aled

Post by Aled » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:46 pm

Andrew UK wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:07 pm
I've had a reply from Howard:

I remember building it with Aled Williams (Tide Race) in about 1988 for Kevin Danforth.
It was called the Ynys (Welsh for Island) & developed from an old design called the Lindisfarn from the NE. It was ahead of the the game in its day!

Howard
I'm very grateful to Howard for the opportunity to help him with making the plug for the Ynys. I was a design student back then and this was my very first foray into kayak building. Cheers Howard!
PS. I had a grey(ish) splatter version built similar to Kev's boat...

Andrew UK

Post by Andrew UK » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:27 am

Hi Aled,
Thanks for the info. It's still in great shape all of these years later.
I don't suppose you know why Kevin went for pink? When I first saw it I thought I'd have to paint it, now I realise the heritage I couldn't do that.
Cheers

simon64

Post by simon64 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:40 am

Obsolete? No, some of the “older” designs are considered classics with good reason, I think Valley have gone back to the original hull on their latest Nordkapp, after years of dicking about with it, and its good to see something other than Valley and P&h on the water !

Aled

Post by Aled » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:23 pm

Andrew UK wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:27 am
I don't suppose you know why Kevin went for pink?
Don't know the reason, but Kevin was into pink everything those days. I recall his pink ProTech helmet etc, it was very much his signature colour.

kevdanfo

Post by kevdanfo » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:38 am

Hi All, Howard & Aled

How spooky ! This is the second of my old boats to surface on the web in the past few months !

For Info...

It was built by Howard Jeffs, soon after he built my Aleut Double for the North Sea Crossing which was laid up in Pink with Blue trims (Mainly to wind up my paddling partner Franco)
Memory fades re: the YNYS but I probably said "Any colours, but make it interesting, maybe Jackson Pollock"

Why Pink ?
I have paddled most things that float you move with a paddle. My first wave ski was pink and I got it cheap because the NE in the 80's, pink was considered a bit girly and not quite the image the macho types were after. The pink protec followed shortly after.
Having drawn a few comments I enjoyed winding a few of the old guard up and inevitably got more gear in pink.

Whilst the surfers were always into bright and gaudy, in the 80's brit sea kayakers and open boaters were more conservative and trad colours were red, yellow, brown, green etc.

I was once told by a group of open boaters that they found my pink BA and helmet offensive and that I could not be considered a proper open boater unless I wore green or camouflage type colours to blend in with the backwoods !

Times have changed thankfully and now you can wear what you want in pretty much any colour.

Andrew. The boat looks good : glad you are enjoying it. if you tire of it let me know and I will offer to buy it back. Retirement is not far off and my current sea boat is grey, is it might be time to wake up and be young again.

Kev

disey

Post by disey » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:27 pm

So, the beautiful Ynys is now mine! A friend sent me the link to this post and Howard also forwarded Andrew's email on to me for marketing purposes. I have worked for/with Howard for nearly 2 years, assisting him with accounts, admin and marketing.
When I saw the photos of the Ynys on here I was smitten! I contacted Andrew and asked if I could have a paddle in her. He offered to swap her for a river tourer which would more suit his needs. In the end he sourced his own substitute and I bought the Ynys. I have tried her out on the flat Jubilee river at Taplow and enjoyed the short half hour solo paddle. I intend to take her back to her home in Anglesey for the last week of October to try her on the sea and allow Howard to assess my performance in her! I'll then make a decision on whether to have any modifications done to make access easier or sell her.
Kevin, if you're around Anglesey between 20th and 28th October let me know and you can reacquaint yourself with her. I'll have my Scorpio too so you won't be depriving me of a paddle if you want to take her out. I had to chortle at the Pure Perfection brand name! Typical Howard!

disey

Post by disey » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:31 pm

Kevin, you wouldn't happen to have a spraydeck to fit Ynys, would you?

Nigel L

Post by Nigel L » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:47 pm

I bought the Ynys shown in Nigel Foster's Book in 1991 from him. I still have it having once sold it on the basis that if the buyer did not like it, I would buy it back from him. At the end of the year I bought it back and have had it since.
It now has oval Valley hatches front and rear and the paddle tubes into the middle hatch have been sealed. I have removed the knee tube. I have had a skeg (wooden) fitted.
It is a beautiful boat to paddle. It was demoed in The Canoeist Headlined 'Fast and definitely not for beginners'. I was a beginner and had a 'love / hate relationship' to start with.
I have taken it out periodically over the years. I took it out again in September this year (I did not know of the correspondence above) since when I have not paddled any other of my boats.
Please do not put a big cockpit in it. If it was for sale I might well be interested.

disey

Post by disey » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:30 am

I have now tried Ynys out in the pool. Bailing out is easy, getting back in requires a new technique to what I am used to but I am going to keep experimenting. I think the photo of Howard sliding in feet first with bottom on back of cockpit is a big clue!
I still haven't taken her out on the sea but hope to do so, if only for an hour or so, in the near future.
I have been encouraged by friends who were at the pool, and my intention is, to keep her. Howard has seen her briefly and has recommended a few modifications. I hope that he will be able to have a 'proper' look soon and we can discuss further (and price!)
I don't intend to replace the ocean cockpit at this stage. I am confident I can hone the skills required to get back in without mishap!
Primary stability is tippy but secondary is strong.
Watch this space. Nigel L and Kevin Danforth both interested in buying - maybe a bidding war could commence if I don't keep her!
Best wishes
Diane