Domain name

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
kayakski

Domain name

Post by kayakski » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:41 am

Hi, We have just changed our website hosting away from one.com they didn't like this move and took my domain name which we had paid for to 2019. We lost kayakcarriers.co.uk and still trying to get it back. In the meantime we are at kayakcarriers.org to keep us up and running. Pure theft and thereis nobody in the UK to police this as one.com are based in Denmark. Just have to keep fighting them.

dabpc

Re: Domain name

Post by dabpc » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:43 pm

In the UK, the .co.uk "police" are Nominet. If the domain is registered to you you can regain control of it via Nominet: https://www.nominet.uk (small fee may apply).

pathbrae

Post by pathbrae » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:34 pm

Cheeky

They also seem to have parked their own clickbate on kayakcarriers.co.uk - maybe you could use the revenue from that (which should belong to you as it's your domain name) to pay the nominet fee?
So much sea - so little time to see it.

Mark Gawler
Site Admin

Post by Mark Gawler » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:02 pm

Web site hosting and Domain name registration are often managed as separate products (as the are two different things), it looks to me like you moved your website host, but you didn't request a transfer your domain. looking at the whois record for your domain your registration it still has a year to run, so in the short term you need to get your domains DNS records updated on the One.com DNS server to point to your new web host. This is normally possible by a user control panel. In the longer term you need to transfer your domain somewhere.

There is not requirement for your website to he hosted by the same provider as your domain name. I user 123-reg.co.uk for domain registrations, but host websites on AWS (for geeks only). 123-reg do continually attempt to sell me website hosting and don't make it obvious how to transfer domains.
Mark Gawler

Allan Olesen

Post by Allan Olesen » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:15 am

Mark Gawler wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:02 pm
so in the short term you need to get your domains DNS records updated on the One.com DNS server to point to your new web host.
Does the owner of a .co.uk domain have a self-service web interface at the overall .co.uk responsible organisation where they can move their domain away to another dns hosting service, no matter if the current dns hosting service wants to cooperate or not?

In that case, it might be easier just moving the dns service from one.com to the new web hosting service now and forget completely about one.com.

I know that such a self-service interface exists for .dk domains, so here the owner is in absolute control. I have heard that it is more problematic for .com domains where the dns hosting service is in control, so you risk getting locked in to a dns hosting service who doesn't want to cooperate when you want to move away. I know absolutely nothing about .co.uk domains.