Storage shed

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Kayak_ben

Storage shed

Post by Kayak_ben » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:00 pm

I’m planning on utilising a narrow down the side of my house as my kayak storage area rather than using the garage for practical reasons.

I’m toying with the idea of either making a wooden shed, buying a ready made rack then construction a roof and door as the area will have my house on one side then the 6.5 foot high fence on the other side.
Another option is to use scaffold tubing with clamp fittings for strength and again constructing a roof of some sort above.

What do you guys do? Could you post photos for inspiration? As at this stage I’m just planning

BobbyR

Re: Storage shed

Post by BobbyR » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:51 pm

Sorry no photos but i screwed two sets of Eckla wall brackets on the side of the shed.
http://www.eckla.de/en/eckla-wall-suppo ... boats.html

I toyed with the idea of a scaffolding frame but the cost was a bit much compared to these simple brackets. Note that if you use scaffolding and have PE boats the plastic will start to bend under its own weight. Storing boats on their end (ww boats only) or side is preferable.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:41 pm

Check out this article from the Almanac - might help.

HughdeIongh

Post by HughdeIongh » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:05 pm

Hi

I had the same problem of how to store kayaks down a narrow side to our house.

I built a wooden frame, purchased a long section of 70cm diam Twinwall piping, cut this in half to create two semi circle covers, and now each canoe has a base to sit on with a Twinwall semi circle roof, one above the other. Keeps the boats very dry

It does look as if I have two torpedo launchers down the side of the house, but it does the job!

Hugh

Kayak_ben

Post by Kayak_ben » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:51 pm

Some great ideas there guys, I had thought more about wood but then toyed with the scaffold due to ease. More research needed I think

Nick P

Post by Nick P » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:32 pm

Key Clamp industrial handrail is another option. Strong, sturdy and put together with a hex key.
N

TechnoEngineer

Post by TechnoEngineer » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:27 pm

Nick P wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:32 pm
Key Clamp industrial handrail is another option. Strong, sturdy and put together with a hex key.
N
That's a cracking idea :)

Also it's probably worth trying to minimise exposure of the kayak to temperature extremes if at all possible.
XL-Burn-3 / Monstar / Kodiak / My Videos