Tall and advice needed!

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
BritishStu

Tall and advice needed!

Post by BritishStu » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:59 pm

Hello.

I am looking to buy my first kayak but at 6ft5 I need some guidance as to which kayaks to go for.

I'm looking to do coastal kayaking in a sit-in boat and am hoping to get more adventurous so speed and manueverability are my priorities. I am based in Suffolk and am struggling to find a local shop to visit as would like to try before I buy!

What would people recommend please? I'm an athletic build but have been told I may struggle with smaller style kayaks. I would like to buy a British made kayak too.

Thank you!

Stuart

paddlersteve

Re: Tall and advice needed!

Post by paddlersteve » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:10 am

Hello Stuart, A few questions, to let us help you:

What sort of kayaking experience to do have?
Are you looking at trips of a few hours, all day, over night?
What sort of budget are you looking at?

The best advice is always to find a local club near you and pop along to meet the people there. Not only can you get some advice and guidance, but you're likely to meet people who have a variety of watercraft that you can see, try for size, compare and understand how they are used. Not sure exactly where you are, but a quick search finds these:
http://sudburycanoeclub.org.uk/
http://www.debencanoeclub.org.uk/
https://webcollect.org.uk/ipswichcc

Steve

Jim Potter

Post by Jim Potter » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:41 am

Stuart,

I have a colleague who is about 6' 8 and he fits into Rockpool boats pretty well- they are a UK brand based in Holyhead with a full demo fleet available and close to great demo spots. Other suggestions would be Romany explorer HV, also based in Holyhead.

Good luck,

Jim

rockhopper

Post by rockhopper » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:07 pm

South East Kayaking have a test fleet of Rockpools and they are closer to you...

Rog.

RickC

Post by RickC » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:36 pm

Hello BritishStu

I'm the dealer for Sea Kayaking UK in Plymouth. Although quite a distance from you (and so unlikely to make a sale I guess, given that you are across on the East coast) I'm happy to give some advice.

For your build, there are three models in the NDK/Sea Kayaking UK range that may suit you. First of all as mentioned in a previous post, The "Explorer HV" may suit you although it will depend on shoe size and your preferred seating position. Additional legroom can be provided by changing the bulkhead position, as is the case in all our composite sea kayaks. This kayak offers a good blend of speed and maneuverability and is a tried and trusted design. The "HV" suffix indicates a higher deck but the length and volume in the compartments are the same as its' regular sized sibling. Only the cockpit has additional volume.

The second option is the "Romany Excel". This is a playful and high-volume sea kayak that has been developed specifically for people of your build. It's highly manoeveurable and is at home in big conditions. Loads of room and you will find it very easy to fit onto.

The third is a completely new kayak - The "Romany Excel Expedition". This is the largest sea kayak we make and is essentially a stretched Romany Excel. Again, the design spec was to offer an expedition-sized kayak for the larger and/or taller paddler. It shares the same cockpit (and therefore the same excellent connectivity and comfort) as it's shorter sibling but is long, very long and at 18 feet offers a huge amount of storage space too.

If you want to try any of these out please get in contact with me via my website www.britishseakayaks.co.uk and I'll be pleased to help. I have an Explorer HV and Romany Excel in the demo fleet and will be taking delivery of an Excel Expedition soon.

Cheers, Rick Cooper

Mark Gawler
Site Admin

Post by Mark Gawler » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:41 pm

You may not need a HV model, I am 6ft 4in (36in leg) and fit on most standard kayaks
Recently I paddled a NDK Explorer (not an HV) and it was a good fit. I couldn't get in the Romany, but only because the foot pegs needed moving not the bulkhead.

I do regularly paddle a Valley Gemini SP, but admittedly that is a very tight fit.
Mark Gawler

BritishStu

Post by BritishStu » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:29 pm

Thank you all for the advice so far. It's been a busy weekend at work so I've only just had a chance to read the messages and will check the various links and recommendations shortly.

I have only kayaked a few times a year and this has been purely renting boats for an hour or two on rivers and lakes. Despite my lack of experience I can see myself really getting into it as a recent house move has put us right near to the river estuary :)

As to a budget, I am willing to spend around £800 for a a 2nd hand boat if it will last me years and I won't outgrow it with regards to challenging myself or i may spend more if brand new. Equally if someone can point me to a £100 kayak that fits the bill I'm game! I'm looking to go out on it for a couple of hours at a time may be 2-3 times a week, doubtful any overnighters but I'll want to be able to paddle in choppy water and be able to throw it around in time (hopefully!)

Thanks again and I shall keep you posted, all of your posts and help really have been appreciated

gethroberts

Post by gethroberts » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:13 pm

I'm 6 foot 5 (36 inch inside legs, size 48 feet) and have enjoyed paddling a Romany Surf, Explorer HV, P&H Delphin 155, P&H Scorpio MV. I replaced the big bulky plastic foot pegs in the P&H boats with smaller Yakima foot pegs. Second hand P&H plastic boats would easily fit into your price range. P.S the Delphin 155 MK2 cockpit is a lot more comfortable for my long legs than the MK1.

Mr Ed

Post by Mr Ed » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:59 am

BritishStu wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:59 pm
Hello.

I am looking to buy my first kayak but at 6ft5 I need some guidance as to which kayaks to go for.

I'm looking to do coastal kayaking in a sit-in boat and am hoping to get more adventurous so speed and manueverability are my priorities. I am based in Suffolk and am struggling to find a local shop to visit as would like to try before I buy!

What would people recommend please? I'm an athletic build but have been told I may struggle with smaller style kayaks. I would like to buy a British made kayak too.

Thank you!

Stuart
I'm 6'4" 35" inside leg.

My first boat was a RM Wilderness systems Tempest 170. I'd recommend that.

There was loads of room in that and it's a very forgiving boat and a great one to learn in as well as having the comfiest sea kayaking seat i've come across. They often come up on gumtree/ebay for £600-£800.

Other recommendations as outlined above are all valid too though.

If you can try before you buy. Steer well clear of anything too old school though e.g. Nordkapps, Baidarkas, Bahiyas unless you want to swim a lot and get frustrated.

Mr Ed

Jim

Post by Jim » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:20 pm

It is not just about height, if you have big feet and or tree trunk legs you might find that even the boats that other tall people get on with are cramped for you - this is something that has been discussed here several times in the past with some of the biggest guys saying that even the Rockpool designs with high decks (for high knee position to suit taller paddlers) were too cramped for them. As I recall many of them favoured one of the Northshore designs, maybe the Atlantic?

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:55 am

Look at the larger Tiderace boats. Specifically the XploreX.

Mark Gawler
Site Admin

Post by Mark Gawler » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:33 pm

Jim wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:20 pm
It is not just about height,
As I recall many of them favoured one of the Northshore designs, maybe the Atlantic?
To prove a point I found the knee tube hatch on the North Shore restricted access to much for me. The answer is to keep trying boats.
Mark Gawler

Jonathan.

Post by Jonathan. » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:43 pm

I’m 6ft2 and find many boats impossibly small. But I am the owner of a Northshore Atlantic and not only is it comfortable, it would probably fit a bigger paddler.

If it’s a fibreglass boat you want, then the Atlantic is one of the less expensive ones. The plastic version is likely to be cheaper still, but don’t rush to buy one as they tend to be smaller with less room.
============
Northshore Atlantic
============

BritishStu

Post by BritishStu » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:51 pm

Thank you all again.

So I've tried a few out and have settled on a wavesport ethos 10. It seems to be a bit of am all rounder and so far fits the bill perfectly. I'm loving getting out on the water!

Maybe see some of you soon

Big Ade

Post by Big Ade » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:53 pm

Take your coffee mug and sit in the boat for at least 30 minutes, longer if you can.
The difference between ecstacy and agony can be a few hours and a few milimetres.
I've two Xplore X's one I can sit in for eternity, the other is half a day. It's on the for sale pages, but it's too exensive for you.
All the above mentioned boats dont fit me. (Although I'd love to try the newer larger NDKs)
Because a properly controlable kayak is like a second skin, it really does depend on your build.
And your footwear, IE if you can walk to your chosen water on pleasant sand, or you're on broken ground with sharp stuff, then that will dictate your footwear and thus your boat size. What do the rest of the locals wear on their feet?

Jonathan.

Post by Jonathan. » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:35 am

Another factor to consider is cockpit length.

Ideally, you want to be able to get your legs out of the boat without having to perch on the back deck or lean right back (as I have to when exiting my Atlantic).

My next boat will be one with a longer cockpit.
============
Northshore Atlantic
============