Drysuit zips

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Yakrat151

Drysuit zips

Post by Yakrat151 »

Drysuit zips,
Front or rear???

PlymouthDamo

Re: Drysuit zips

Post by PlymouthDamo »

Either can work well, either can be donned solo (although you'll need a bit of pull-cord tied to a back zip) but either can also be very difficult to get in/out of depending on how flexible you are and how the suit fits you. Your only way to be sure is to try before you buy.

Mrstratos61

Post by Mrstratos61 »

Contrary to some opinions getting my typhoon on and off with back zip doesn't need me being a contortionist.

seawolf856

Post by seawolf856 »

Rear is neater and doesnt interfere with your pfd as much. Having said that i wear my kokatat expedition (front zip) in preference to my other rear zip drysuit because the suit is better. What i am saying is I dont think either is better from a functional perspective and unless you are ‘billy no mates’ just get one of your buddies to help with the zip.

Northern Blue

Post by Northern Blue »

Being a 'Billy No Mates' most of the time and having a long term shoulder injury, I found the rear shoulder entry on my Typhoon MS4 was increasingly difficult to fasten and open.

I bit the bullet last year and bought a waist entry PS330 Extrem, which is a massive improvement for my personal circumstances.

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton »

The plastic zip on the back of my Dam X is very easy, the metal zip on the back of my Typhoon PS220 is more difficult, but quite possible to do myself provided I keep it well waxed.

singingpaddler

Post by singingpaddler »

Thanks "Billy"! Do you find the waist zip uncomfortable, e.g. with the spraydeck?

Northern Blue

Post by Northern Blue »

singingpaddler wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:17 am
Thanks "Billy"! Do you find the waist zip uncomfortable, e.g. with the spraydeck?
The zip can tend to fold a little due to a slight excess of material, but once I fit my deck, I tension the zip by pulling the material to either side and have no further issues with comfort.

andynormancx

Post by andynormancx »

I also get a bit of folding of the zip on my waist zip Typhoon. It isn’t uncomfortable though.

Grian

Post by Grian »

Front metal zip on my suit is perfectly comfortable for me and can easily be zipped independently. Well easily after doing some weight training, before that I struggled with the extreme top end on my shoulder, I expect it would be no problem to an average strength bloke.

charleston14

Post by charleston14 »

Front or rear?

What about the peak drysuit with leg entry.

Another option if they still make it

I find the adventure suit (back zip entry) very comfy, just don’t forget to do up the neck tensioner when out in the waves ! It’s a plastic zip and easier to do up than some of the very stiff dive suit style zips.