Could Anyone Identify the Year of My Valley Nordkapp

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
NicholasJohnStuart

Could Anyone Identify the Year of My Valley Nordkapp

Post by NicholasJohnStuart » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:51 am

Hello
This is my first post. I would be grateful if anyone could help identify the exact year of my Valley Nordkapp which I am currently restoring.
It is quite early but I am not sure exactly which year or the model type. It has black (magnesium alloy ?) hatches with levers and a Chimp on left behind the ocean cockpit. The colour is yellow. Please bear with me and I will attempt to post a photo (if it is allowed for new members).
Thanks
Nick

pathbrae

Re: Could Anyone Identify the Year of My Valley Nordkapp

Post by pathbrae » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:35 pm

Any legible remains of the original Valley label left in the cockpit?
So much sea - so little time to see it.

NicholasJohnStuart

Post by NicholasJohnStuart » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:36 pm

Unfortunately no label and I am having trouble uploading a photo.
Thanks anyway for replying.

NicholasJohnStuart

Post by NicholasJohnStuart » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:43 pm

Last edited by Mark Gawler on Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added photos that were uploaded but not posted.

Aled

Post by Aled » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:26 pm

I'd estimate between 1975 and early 1980s, - It's fitted with Henderson cam hatches, which pre-date the plastic Henderson screw-on hatches, which pre-date the VCP hatches. The model is a HS (hatches + standard hull) on the original 'ocean' cockpit. Interestingly, it looks like it wasnt originally fitted with VCP deck fittings - they appear to be retrofit or 'drilled and glassed', also suggesting that this is a very early model.

NicholasJohnStuart

Post by NicholasJohnStuart » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:18 am

Thanks for that Aled,
I thought it was quite early because I understand that there is one in the National Maritime Museum (though I have not seen it) dating from 1977 with the skeg modification, which this clearly does not have, though I guess that it may not have been introduced immediately on production models so this one may still be post 1977. I am curious so clearly more research to be done.
cheers
Nick

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:40 pm

I guess that it may not have been introduced immediately on production models so this one may still be post 1977
As I understood the built in skeg (HM = Hatches+modified) was only an option. It was possible to buy the HS version after the HM was launched, so having a HS doesn't necessarily mean it's before the HM.

NicholasJohnStuart

Post by NicholasJohnStuart » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:17 pm

Thanks Chris,
I also meant to ask if anyone could please give information/guidance on the layup. There is a a long gash directly under the seat that needs a proper repair so unfortunately the seat has to come out. Looking at the cockpit floor/hull material this would be Woven Roving rather than Diolen ?

Aled

Post by Aled » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:26 am

My HM from this era was made of glass roving, csm and polyester resin.

NicholasJohnStuart

Post by NicholasJohnStuart » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:33 pm

Thanks Aled, I had read somewhere that Valley used Diolen ,probably in more recent builds I guess.

Aled

Post by Aled » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:36 pm

You'll find out for certain when you start sanding the innermost hull layer (where the woven cloth / rovings tend to be) - if it all turns to white dust - it's glass (black dust, its carbon), if it's more resistant to sanding and furrs up white - it's diolene (furrs up yellow - it's kevlar).

nickcrowhurst

Repairing the crack under the seat

Post by nickcrowhurst » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:29 pm

"There is a a long gash directly under the seat that needs a proper repair so unfortunately the seat has to come out. "

This is very common, and is usually caused by the bracket fixing the seat to the hull causing localized stress. I have repaired this without taking out the seat, and I replaced the function of the bracket with some foam. Details of the repair technique here:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16330&hilit=renovat ... 60#p141906
Nick.

NicholasJohnStuart

Post by NicholasJohnStuart » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:18 am

Aled, Thanks, I've been looking at a few online photos of Nordkapps and It struck me that this one has deck lines that run in tubes under the deck , a feature which appears to have been discontinued quite early on (?) so, Iike your early HM I think that this is an entirely glass layup.
Nick, thanks for the Link - I am still reading through the post and it contains a wealth of useful relevant information. Unfortunately this kayak has suffered impact under the seat so the damage is a bit more extensive than would have been the case with solely due to stress. After much contemplation ( always reluctant to compromise originality) I concluded that it would really only be possible to carry out a thorough repair with the seat removed. My idea is to fabricate a couple of stainless steel brackets so that the seat can be rehung using machine scrrews or similar. This will at least mean that in future, the seat could be removed eaily should the need arise. I like the idea of closed cell foam support - The underseat "bracket" seems to be just a length of glass tape bent into a " U" shape .
Thanks for replying. Nick