Vintage Nordkapp ID - help required!

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
owler

Vintage Nordkapp ID - help required!

Post by owler »

Hello, does anyone have information about the nordkapp pictured such as rough age, i've not seen one like this before. Also wondering about ways that new deck lines could be added. Any thoughts accepted.

Chris Bolton

Re: Vintage Nordkapp ID - help required!

Post by Chris Bolton »

I suspect you may have a piece of history there. The screw-down hatches mark it as early, but it has the modified hull with the built-in skeg, so it's not one of the original 1975 Nordkapp Expedition boats. There are some photos of one of the Nordkapps used on the 1977 Cape Horn Expedition on Douglas Wilcox's photostream and I don't think it's one of them either.

The Almanac section of UKSKGB is not as well known as it might be - there's an article on Nordkapp history.

It would probably be worth trying to make any refurbishment sympathetic to the original, rather than modification - but it's your boat.

owler

Post by owler »

Thanks for reply Chris, I read the article and the boat didn't fit to anything, not currently my boat been trying to find out info for current owner.

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton »

OK, noted. I neglected to answer your question about deck lines. It looks as if they were just fed through holes and glassed in under the deck - is that correct? I have seen other boats that age done that way. I think I'd drill the holes out and do the same again - perhaps modern resins might give more options for anchoring/sealing. Any other approach is going to be more work and/or end up with a bigger bump on the top of the deck.

Phil Hk

Post by Phil Hk »

A few thoughts:

The hatches are not screw down - they worked off a cam action on the T bar that goes across the hatch. It can be just be made out in the photo
I am pretty sure that Frank Goodman modified the hull with built in skeg (known as HM) for the trip round Cape Horn in 1977.
Under deck tubing was quite common method for deck lines at that time

Phil

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton »

Thanks for the correction re the hatches - I knew they were the original type but misremembered a conversation with Sam Cook where he described them.
I am pretty sure that Frank Goodman modified the hull with built in skeg (known as HM) for the trip round Cape Horn in 1977.
That's what I thought, but the photos In Douglas's stream linked above show an adjustable skeg on what is stated to be a Cape Horn boat.

pathbrae

Post by pathbrae »

Came across this one, of about the same vintage, a couple of years ago out on Inchkeith. It was also an HM but we didn't meet up with it's owner unfortunatley so didn't get any history of the boat.

So much sea - so little time to see it.

Phil Hk

Post by Phil Hk »

I am loathe to suggest that there is, therefore,an error in Douglas's post !

I attended a lecture by Jim Hargreaves at Bangor University not long after they had returned. Jim had been one of the paddlers and described how this newly designed hull had been developed just before the trip, the boats were not totally cured when shipped and one of them developed a twist in the keel line in transit. Frank Goodman solved this by lashing the kayak to take out the twist and heating it over a fire. He had no idea why this would work ... but it did!

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton »

I am loathe to suggest that there is, therefore,an error in Douglas's post
Ditto - but perhaps there is an error in my description of the photos Douglas has published and it is not a boat from the Cape Horn trip. I have not found the link that led me to them, in which there were described as such. However, of all the places where one might want a barometer built into the deck, Cape Horn is where I'd want one.

Petestarr

Post by Petestarr »

I sold one recently of similar vintage... sadly I don't know the year but guessing late 70s as I got it in '86 second hand...Image

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

camanche73

Post by camanche73 »

It is certainly a HM hull, but the lack of moulding in the deck and layout of deck lines across the deck may indicate a homemade version?
what are the internal seams and layup like? does it have fail safe foot bar in the cockpit?
There is a Nordkapp Owners page on Facebook, it may be worth posting on that

PeteW

Post by PeteW »

on the lack of deck fittings - back late 70s when the cam action hatches were std you chose how many, where and the type (I seem to remember about 5 - side hook, end hook, jamb cleat and the std through holes) of deck fittings you wanted when you ordered from VCP . I replaced the cam hatches on mine with early rubber ones to get a larger hole to stow gear through and she is still going strong.

MikeB

Post by MikeB »

There are pictures of one of the N/kapp Expedition boats in my article on them which show a deck-line setup which seems very similar to that in the op's original pictures.

The 1985 brochure certainly seemed to suggest that a standard production boat didn't have lines fitted, and indeed there's a picture in the Nordkapp article of an LS which is clear of any lines.

Either way, it looks like an interesting piece of history.