Duncan Winning - RIP

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
MikeB

Duncan Winning - RIP

Post by MikeB »

I have just heard that Duncan Winning OBE, former Honorary President of the Scottish Canoe Association, has died. He had been ill over the last year, and his family was with him at the end.

Duncan was a truly remarkable man who made a significant and lifelong contribution to our sport, in his own practice, his research and his principled and continuous support of the interests of the paddling public.

Duncan was one of a remarkable generation of paddlers who sought no recognition, yet embraced and practiced both the Inuit roots of the sport, and the history of canoeing in Scotland. If you use a stick you can thank Duncan for his part in re introducing traditional skills and the knowledge behind them. There's a very high chance that the boat you paddle today is a direct descendent of the "Ken Taylor" kayak, which Duncan surveyed and then made the drawings available.

(There are several articles by Duncan in the "History, Culture and Humour" section of the Almanac).

Very best wishes to his family and his many, many friends.

Seedy Paddler

Re: Duncan Winning - RIP

Post by Seedy Paddler »

Duncan was a genuine gent and a very supportive mentor and guide in my tenure of SCA President. Not only a sea paddler it should be remembered that Duncan offered and undertook the SCA role during the initial concordat for access to Loch Lomond discussion and proposals that subsequently provided the basis for access in the Land Reform Act and the provision of open access to hill and water in Scotland. A patriotic Scot Duncan also was one of the leaders during the federalisation of British Canoeing. Truly a Legend in our sport. RIP

pathbrae

Post by pathbrae »

A true loss to the paddling community. Duncan was one of the "wise old men" of canoeing in Scotland, the UK and beyond. His wisdom and humour and his infinite patience will be greatly missed.

Duncan's legacy will live on in all the little design tweaks he brought to the kayaks we all paddle today (ribbed hand-grips on bow and stern being one of my favourite...)

Here's to you Duncan. Gone too soon but not forgotten
So much sea - so little time to see it.

Rainshine

Post by Rainshine »

That's very sad news. Duncan was a lovely man who had many great stories to tell. For someone who was so influential in the sport, he was very humble. Condolences and best wishes to his family.

Neilgr

Post by Neilgr »

I spent many years paddling one of Duncans kayak designs. That kayak took me to lots of wonderful places. He was always so free with his time and it was always a pleasure to speak with him.
I hope he wrote down his involvement in the history of British kayaking. His story deserves to be told.
He will be sorely missed.
Neil

Douglas Wilcox

Post by Douglas Wilcox »

What a loss his passing is. He was a thoroughly decent and modest family man. His influence in his chosen recreation of sea kayaking is immeasurable due to his gift of time to others, willingness to share knowledge and quiet leadership. Farewell Duncan and thank you.

Douglas Wilcox

Post by Douglas Wilcox »

Duncan also had a great sense of humour. Since it was exactly 5 years ago today, I think Duncan would have enjoyed seeing this April 1st spoof (which we worked on together) again....

The Greenland Roller paddle:

Douglas

Westview

Post by Westview »

Sounds like Duncan lived his life well .

Thanks Duncan for the important drawing and that paddle ... lol ... but maybe a good idea ;vD