Drysuit seals

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Pitchpole

Drysuit seals

Post by Pitchpole »

Dear experts
I have a Typhoon Multisport 4 drysuit and suncream has damaged the latex neck seal. Would you get it replaced with another latex one or silicone? Presumably silicone is more resilient but less comfortable.

John K

Re: Drysuit seals

Post by John K »

I've not heard of a surface drysuit with silicone seals, it's generally a choice of latex or neoprene. I don't think silicone seals would be an easy retrofit as you can't glue them and need to use a ring system to clip them in.

Pitchpole

Post by Pitchpole »

Thanks John.

I think you hit the nail on the head there. I was looking at the diving section of the Typhoon website, probably doesn't apply to surface suits like you said.

Allan Olesen

Post by Allan Olesen »

I have heard - from a seller of latex seals! - that silicone seals can fail completely in an instant when they get old. Latex seals usually fail more slowly with small cracks showing up over time.

But since I got it from a seller of latex seals, I am not trusting it 100%.

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton »

I've had latex seals fail in an instant, and also develop a tear that fails next time the seal is taken on or off. Neoprene seals would fail gradually. I also learned the hard way that latex seals become very brittle when cold.

Rainshine

Post by Rainshine »

I've had a brand new latex seal fail in an instant too!! Its just not a durable material and if it fails when you are stretching it to get it on or off, it will instantly rip the full length of the seal. You can duct tape up a wrist seal to get you on the water but duct taping a completely burst neck seal is just a challenge too far!

Glide-skin (neoprene) is far less likely to fail instantly and is much more durable than latex (given identical care of both when handling etc.) If the seals fit you properly it doesn't leak and its very comfortable to wear. The glide-skin seals on my trusty Typhoon suit have outlasted all the latex seals on my infinitely more expensive drysuits and they still don't leak even though they have gotten rather stretched and have some nicks and dings in them. Nicks and cuts in glide-skin don't rip as catastrophically as they would with latex when you stretch them either.

A bit of advice too - when you have a latex neck seal replaced make sure they don't use a diving suit latex seal - I unwittingly had a hopeless repairer (who shall remain nameless) put one on to a drysuit and it was the most uncomfortable thing imaginable. I was away on a multi-day trip and was reduced to cutting a huge chunk off the seal with scissors and then liberally using vaseline on my neck under the seal to try and make it bearable - it was unbelievably uncomfortable!! I quickly sent the suit to a decent repairer and they put the correct type of latex neck seal on.