Trip planning in Donegal?

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
RichJ

Trip planning in Donegal?

Post by RichJ » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:15 pm

Hi Folks,

We are looking for advice! We have had some great times paddling the coast and islands of Conemmara at Easter time and now looking to explore Donegal. Our group and family enjoy walking and bad weather alternatives in local villages and towns. To help planning our trip, any ideas where we should start our search ? ....

Many thanks for thoughts and ideas,

Richard

Mark R

Re: Trip planning in Donegal?

Post by Mark R » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:30 pm

Good simple no-faff campsite to base yourself at first - http://rosguillholidaypark.com

Otherwise...it's all good. go anywhere. Amazing place, I did a few trips including Horn Head and Tory Island. Intend to head back and paddle *all* of the coast.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Mark-Rainsl ... 3466063399
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

WagylDreaming

Post by WagylDreaming » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:00 pm

Starting at Marble Hill Beach, head west back towards Dunfanaghy where on a (rare) clear day with light breezes and low tides, you can explore a natural tunnel and sea cave. I would recommend seeking out local advice (eg. Donald at Jaws Watersports) first as this can be quite treacherous. Well worth it though... ☺

andy63

Post by andy63 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:10 pm

I have paddled a little in lough foyle and round the inishowen with Inish adventures... run by Adrian and im sure you would get help and good advice from him if you are heading for donegal..https://www.inishadventures.com
Andy

andy63

Post by andy63 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:12 pm

should have said they are holding their sea symposium at the beginning of April for anyone interested..last year was my first and I intend going back this year..
Andy

john.ruston

Post by john.ruston » Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:09 pm

Inish Adventures are offering a week of guided tours around Donegal in the 5 days running up to the Symposium (weekend 7-8April). You can be sure that this will be well run and the area offers lots of bad weather alternatives. Check with Adrian and I'm sure he can offer good fun activities for all abilities and age groups in your party. Book early for the widest choice of local accomodation as this week will sell out fast.
Contact details kindly supplied in posts above. You will be glad you did. J.

Rainshine

Post by Rainshine » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:12 pm

I'm another one who went to the Inish Adventures Symposium last year and have already booked to go back again next year - its fantastic!! I second what others have already said - Adrian is a great guy and a great place to start if you are looking for info and suggestions.

And no, believe to or not, we're not all on commission!!!

ike

Post by ike » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:05 pm

I paddled in Donegal for the first time in October. Decided to remove the usual faff by going through http://www.gartan.com. Their instructors know the area; where to go, weather, get-in points etc. Instructors were a solid bunch, made it a very enjoyable trip. ike.

aquaspeleo

Post by aquaspeleo » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:47 pm

Everything above is North Donegal. Trust me, the Southern portion is pretty good too. Generally, once South of Dungloe, the area lacks many islands but the coast itself is heavenly and seals on remote beaches plus even occasional dolphins may put in an appearance. Many remote beaches...boulder or shingle beaches in the main, staggering cliffs, fun stacks to dodge round plus caves galore in places if you're into that. If you want more info pm me....

RichJ

Post by RichJ » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:39 pm

Thank you all very much for the input.
Rather looking forward to our trip!

Richard