A periplus for Christmas?

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
nickcrowhurst

A periplus for Christmas?

Post by nickcrowhurst » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:48 pm

A periplus, (a new word to me, if not to you), is an ancient document that lists all the headlands, harbours and points of note along a coast, together with the distances between them. They were used as coastal navigation aids by the ancient Greeks at least as far back as the 6th century B.C. Those who now write similar details on their kayak foredeck might like to realize they are part of a long seafaring tradition dating back to the days of the triremes.
I like that.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Periplus
Nick.

Yellerbelly

Re: A periplus for Christmas?

Post by Yellerbelly » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:28 pm

The Inuit carved map sticks to document coastal features.

http://www.amusingplanet.com/2017/04/in ... nland.html

I might try his for my bit of the Lincolnshire coast. It would look like a lollipop stick tho'.

. . . . Ben

john.ruston

Re: A periplus for Christmas?

Post by john.ruston » Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:05 pm

Ben, that picture is a beautiful thing in itself.
Tudor times onwards people used to travel with strip maps which could be coiled up. The map would show the road between two key cities as a straight line. This was along long axis of the strip. Useful info such as taverns, fords, churches and bridges would be shown along the way. Scale in leagues, furlongs and 'pases' etc.

Motorists use to get travel route plans (50s and 60s.) from the AA which were similar, I think they were printed on a glorified till-roll.
On the sea the good old Admiralty Pilots carry on the tradition.
All of the above useful, but none as nice to look at as Ben's "Greenland Sticks"