NDK/Sea Kayaking UK seats and back bands

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
RickC

NDK/Sea Kayaking UK seats and back bands

Post by RickC » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:21 pm

Hi Everyone

If you have a Romany, Explorer, Pilgrim or any sea kayak from the Sea Kayaking UK range built since 2009 this is for you. It's relating to seat brackets and removal of back bands. This doesn't apply to pre-2009 seats that are attached to the cockpit rim.

Some of you may decide you don't need the back band and want to remove it. Fair enough, and it's easy to do. Remove the hip pads and behind each side you'll find two 4mm Allen bolts holding the seat in place. Undo these and the back band will slip out from between the seat moulding and the hull bracket. However, make sure you insert some form of packing that is equal to the thickness of the back band material (usually about 4mm thick) before replacing the bolts. Stainless washers will be the best option. If you don't re-pack this gap you may accidentally over-tighten the bolts when replacing the seat and damage the shell of the kayak.

If you're absolutely sure you don't ever want to use the back band you can just cut it off instead of removing it. Then there is no need to remove any bolts at all.

Contact me at www.britishseakayaks.co.uk if you need further advice on this. Always happy to help.

Is it too early to wish everyone a Merry Christmas? Of course not.

Cheers, Rick

Grahamd

Re: NDK/Sea Kayaking UK seats and back bands

Post by Grahamd » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:19 pm

Thank you for the advice. Sounds like you may have learnt the hard way.

RickC

Re: NDK/Sea Kayaking UK seats and back bands

Post by RickC » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:09 pm

Grahamd wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:19 pm
Sounds like you may have learnt the hard way.
Luckily not me but I recently heard of someone who did. Just trying to spread the word and save it happening to someone else really. It's what some of us nice retailers do.

Cheers, Rick