Werner paddle button jamming

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
AC001

Re: Werner paddle button jamming

Post by AC001 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:23 pm

The reason I posted this is that I'm just back from a 4 day trip and it was completely jammed.

When I got back I managed to get it apart. 5 minutes with the airgun and it's silky smooth.

I suspect it only takes one particle of sand to make a difference. It doesn't stand a chance against high pressure air coming at it from different directions.

andynormancx

Post by andynormancx » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:28 pm

I've tried air pressure air when I had some sand/grit jammed in there, it hasn't worked for me.

The only way I've managed to clear it is to work the button back and forth (using the handle of a table knife to push it up inside the ferrule) and then the end of a tea spoon to push it back down. Sometimes it take only a few movements like that to break down the sand, sometimes it takes 15 minutes of constant back and forth.

mcgruff

Post by mcgruff » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:12 pm

Maybe there's a Breaking Bad solution. Apparently, SiO2 dissolves in sodium hydroxide.

So do you. So be careful.

Of course you'd have to check none of the materials used to make the paddle would be affected.

andynormancx

Post by andynormancx » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:33 pm

You’d also need to check it was sand and not a bit of non silicon oxide based grit ;)

AC001

Post by AC001 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:25 am

I use an air duster gun with the long extension nozzle. Like this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Yato-professio ... way&sr=8-5

You can get right inside the ferrule and also blast it down the depressed button. This blows out any water that is in there. Dries the ferrule out and blasts away any now dry sand particles. Wet sand is sticky, dry sand blows around.
You might have a problem if you've previously tried to lubricate it. Although soaking it in detergent or bike cleaner might help.

These guns fit to a standard quick release airline. My gun came with the cheap lidl compressor but I'd imagine any local garage would have the quick release connection if not the gun.

Or you could try this. Which would probably work.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Star-Duster-Co ... way&sr=8-5

andynormancx

Post by andynormancx » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:53 am

AC001 wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:23 pm
5 minutes with the airgun and it's silky smooth.
Maybe this highlights the real issue...

None of my three Werners (I returned the first two after repeated jams) have had a button that would be described as "silky smooth" even when it doesn't have sand jammed in it. In all three of them the tolerances around the button were not great, with the button not sitting in the centre of the hole (one side of the button is always rubbing against the side of the hole).

In comparison my wife's Werner has clear space around the button on all sides and never jams.

On the paddle I've kept, I've tried enlarging the hole a little, but it doesn't seem to have helped as the button just leans further over against that side of the hole still.

kayakbiker

Post by kayakbiker » Wed May 01, 2019 5:21 pm

Does anyone know if VE are still manufacturing paddles?
After hearing so many good reviews about VE on hereI I looked them up, but it appears that there web site is down.
I like the look of some of the werner blades but this issue definetly puts me off purchasing one.

John K

Post by John K » Thu May 02, 2019 12:06 pm

kayakbiker wrote:Does anyone know if VE are still manufacturing paddles?
Not at the moment but they hope to be back up and running before too long. Great paddles though.

JulesT

Post by JulesT » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:44 am

My mate and I both bought new Werner paddles last year and have experienced the same problem with the button getting jammed.
I make sure I carry a tool so that if its stuck in I can lever it out from the inside. Additionally I've drilled a tiny hole in the button and carry a small self tapping screw so that I can pull the button out. I haven't experienced it stuck out as one can usually apply enough pressure to push it in but the chances are it will then be stuck in.
IMHO its a poor design as proven in practice by the number of people who experience the same problem. If the worst comes to the worst I would cut a split in the 'over' end of the paddle and use a stainless steel jubilee clip to tighten the two parts together. I have an Epic wing paddle with an over centre lever which works perfectly. Its adjustable to any feather. Just sending it back to get a new paddle doesn't solve the design flaw, you may be lucky or not next time around.
Jules

Anastu

Post by Anastu » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:39 am

Had this problem. Rinse after every use in fresh water works. I tried all sorts of lube with short lived success. Any lube seems to clog the mechanism. If its well jammed, i would soak for a while. I use my water butt after use. I flush the paddle ends out by repeatedly rinsing up and down in the butt. Works really well. Not had it stick again