Change of VHF handset, any licence implications?

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
seawolf856

Change of VHF handset, any licence implications?

Post by seawolf856 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:30 pm

Yesterday the on/off switch on my VHF handset broke off. It was supposed to be submersible so I never kept it in a waterproof case and corrosion has eventually got the better of it. I have ordered a new handset today (same make and model so I don't have to learn how to use it) and when it arrives, I was wondering if I have to inform Ofcom that I have changed handsets.
I can't remember if I had to declare the handset details when I applied for my licence. Loads of you out there must have changed handsets over the years, so does anybody know if the VHF licence applies to the PERSON only and I can change my handset as many times as I like?

seawolf856

Re: Change of VHF handset, any licence implications?

Post by seawolf856 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:43 pm

As clarified in another related post - it is the 'ships portable radio licence' that I am talking about, not the RYA operators licence.

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:10 pm

My Ship Portable Radio Licence does not include any information about the model or maker of the radio. I recently downloaded a new copy, as it was over 10 years old and I read on the Ofcom web site "Ofcom will revoke the licence unless the licence is either amended or validated at least once every ten years". I also queried this wording with Ofcom, as there was no way to 'validate' a licence. The reply from Ofcom was that they are 'lifetime' licences and that I must have been looking at an old version of their site and I should 'upgrade my browser' to see the latest version. I had been using a current browser version, and when I looked at the website again, the words had disappeared.

BUT my radio does not have DSC, and so does not have an MMSI - I think if you have a DSC radio you need to transfer the MMSI or get a new licence, maybe somebody with a DSC licence can comment.

robhorton

Post by robhorton » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:57 am

It would only be an issue if it's a DSC radio AND you're selling (/giving away) the old one (with the MMSI set).

If it's a non-DSC radio there's nothing to register anyway. If it's a DSC one and the old one is getting binned you can just put your MMSI in the new one. If you're selling a DSC one though you either need to surrender the MMSI or get the manufacturer to reset it (so a new owner can put their own MMSI in).

seawolf856

Post by seawolf856 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:34 pm

Thanks guys, the old handset is completely scrap as the on/off switch has physically snapped due to seawater corrosion (waterproof my ar$e). It is a non DSC type and I’ve bought an identical replacement so happy days, nothing for me to do.