McMurdo Fast Find PLBs - Advice Required

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Northern Blue

McMurdo Fast Find PLBs - Advice Required

Post by Northern Blue »

McMurdo have a couple of PLBs that I am interested in and are similarly priced, but not being so tech savvie, which is the better of the two and why ?

Fast Find Ranger vs. Fast Find 220

TIA,

Ken.

Chris Bolton

Re: McMurdo Fast Find PLBs - Advice Required

Post by Chris Bolton »

The specifications appear almost identical; the Ranger is a few mm smaller. I have not heard of the Ranger before, although it seems to have been launched in 2012. It seems to be mainly a marketing difference. I would ask McMurdo, in your position. I have a Fastfind.

GrahamC

Post by GrahamC »

As Chris says, there is no difference between them based on operation, in fact I suspect that they are identical inside. The Ranger is aimed at walkers and mountaineers whereas the Fastfind 220 is aimed at the marine market, thus the Fastfind 220 comes with a flotation jacket so that it will float. However, I would suggest that you fitted a lanyard as well as the chance of retrieving a lost and floating PLB in rough water is probably zero. I will add another choice to your list, the RescueMe PLB1 which is smaller than the fastfind. Basically they all do the same thing.

Graham

Northern Blue

Post by Northern Blue »

Thanks Chris & Graham,

I'm pleased it wasn't just me that couldn't see much between them. One review I saw said the Ranger was aimed at land use, but has exactly the same level of waterproofing as the 220.

I'll have another look at the RescueMe before buying.

Ken.

Northern Blue

Post by Northern Blue »

Update.

After speaking with McMurdo, I have opted for the Ranger for the reasons below.

As well as kayaking, I do a lot of stuff in the Scottish Highlands & Cumbria, including winter conditions.

The Ranger has exactly the same level of waterproofing as the 220 and is made of a more robust plastic in case of being dropped on land. It also has a 50% longer transmit time, which is fairly irrelevant at sea, if you're in the water and haven't been rescued in the 24 hours that the 220 gives you, you're in a spot of bother.

Ken.