Fettling a kinked skeg wire

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Mark R

Fettling a kinked skeg wire

Post by Mark R »

Just an experiment to see how many views this post gets.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Allan Olesen

Re: Fettling a kinked skeg wire

Post by Allan Olesen »

Does this count?

john.ruston

Post by john.ruston »

Unusual choice of words attracted my attention. FETTLING is a common foundry-man's term, equiv. DEBRIDE (ex. wound care).
It would be hard to fettle a wire esp. Stainless Bowden cable. whether kinked or not.
Thats me. J.

pathbrae

Post by pathbrae »

I'd take fettling to mean any non precision engineering aimed at getting something to fit / work / stay on / come off. Usually involving a big hammer and sometimes a sharp chisel
So much sea - so little time to see it.

andysal

Post by andysal »

Why did Karitek stop making the hydroskeg? - so much less hassle

Allan Olesen

Post by Allan Olesen »

pathbrae wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:03 pm
I'd take fettling to mean any non precision engineering aimed at getting something to fit / work / stay on / come off. Usually involving a big hammer and sometimes a sharp chisel
I had to look it up (not a native English speaker), and apparently it means shaving open strands off a rope or wire. But if you do that to a skeg wire with so few strands, you end up with almost nothing.

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton »

From it's original foundry meaning, fettle has expanded to mean "put into better condition" or "fix up", certainly in Northern England. In Cumbria, it's even used to refer to health; somebody who is unwell has "bad fettle", and in Barrow, Furness Engineering and Technology Ltd would seem to have chosen the company name for the acronym FETL.

In relation to skeg wires, the ability to fettle any bit of kayak equipment is, for me, as much part of expedition paddling as navigation, food, photography and wildlife, so I would tend to open a post on the topic. Since I usually browse the Forum using the "New posts" search link, I didn't immediately spot that it's not in the "Gear" sub-forum (which I'm guessing Mark did deliberately!)

Northern Blue

Post by Northern Blue »

Chris Bolton wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:23 am
From it's original foundry meaning, fettle has expanded to mean "put into better condition" or "fix up", certainly in Northern England. In Cumbria, it's even used to refer to health; somebody who is unwell has "bad fettle".........
Likewise, back in the late 70s, as a time served welder in a fabrication workshop (NCB-BritCoal) in the Durham coalfields, we also used the term 'fettle' instead of 'fix'.

It's also used up in Geordie land for good health, as in 'canny fettle' :-)

nickcrowhurst

Post by nickcrowhurst »

Searching Mr R's posts reveals that he has used the s.... word only thirty seven times in total, a very low average usage considering his high volume of posts. I believe this shows a very healthy lack of obsessive behaviour.
In comparison, I realize that my 88 usages in just over one thousand posts could be considered rather troubling.
Perhaps the forum management could consider moving this thread to the "Gear" sub-forum :)
Nick.

jamesl2play

Post by jamesl2play »

I only looked because I saw that you had posted Mark and I was wondering what you were up to.

GrahamC

Post by GrahamC »

Interesting experiment - I was going to say once its kinked there is no way back - but we all knew that anyway!

Jim

Post by Jim »

I normally ignore skeg threads, having never had a skeg, but noting that you started it piqued my interest....

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton »

I assume this is the control for the experiment (which I've now ruined because people will click on that link and add to the count...)

Mark R

Post by Mark R »

Yeah, pretty much as I thought.

I tend not to read much of this forum as I'm interested in paddling and places.

As someone noted, a post I recently made about going paddling garnered zero response/ interest. This post is almost viral...

Please. Post. About. Paddling.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Northern Blue

Post by Northern Blue »

Mark R wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:35 am

As someone noted, a post I recently made about going paddling garnered zero response/ interest. This post is almost viral...

If it was your Kernow tour post, not entirely a zero response, unless us northerners don't count ;-)

I do see your point though, a poor response is very discouraging when you put the time and effort in to provide an interesting post.

Ken.

seawolf856

Post by seawolf856 »

Apart form the literal meanings, I like the humanised version as in "she's in fine fettle.." referring to a trim hull with nice curves!!!

PeterG

Post by PeterG »

It was 'kinked' that attracted me, we've all been there: the word almost makes it worthwhile getting one.

Yellerbelly

Post by Yellerbelly »

Mark, Why torture yourself bringing up nightmares like this? Get out there and report back so that others can live vicariously paddling they could never achieve. . . . Ben

P.S. if you avoid removing the cable it saves a lot of hassle.

I'll get my coat. :¬)

Yellerbelly

Post by Yellerbelly »

Actually. . . if I can get the club kayaks into a seaworthy condition so that we can inspire folk like this young lady on a trip to Staffa and the Treshnish islands. .

. . . they might go on to do this. ..

Please support her Kickstarter campaign to make a film of the trip. 4 days and only £5000 to go.

So fixing skegs is a useful resource.

. . . . Ben

pathbrae

Post by pathbrae »

Mark R wrote:

Mmm - not so sure..... Does the forum record the number of views (I hope not - or we get into a facebook "likes" fest)
I suspect a lot of folks viewed the post, clicked the links and enjoyed the record of the trip (or had already read it in OP ) without commenting, which is fair enough.
So much sea - so little time to see it.

number10ox

Post by number10ox »

In another forum I use they have a "thumbs up" button that records a 'thanks for the post' notification at the bottom of the post. Located with the exclamation and quotation buttons top right of the post. Could this be added to this forum so that readers can record gratitude for a post who may not desire to post themselves? Pretty sure this other forum uses the same software used for this forum.
John.

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton »

As someone noted, a post I recently made about going paddling garnered zero response/ interest
It has more views than this thread. Lack of replies doesn't mean lack of interest, and any thread that sets out to be even slightly controversial is likely to attract replies.

Allan Olesen

Post by Allan Olesen »

Mark R wrote:
You presented a made-up problem and did not even get one single reply dealing with it. Nobody has done any attempt of giving advice on kinked skeg wires.

All posters in this thread are making fun of the experiment or just using the thread for small-talk, knowing that they are not destroying any thread of value.

I would say that your experiment failed.

Mark R

Post by Mark R »

Allan Olesen wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:39 pm
You presented a made-up problem
No, the problem is very real. Look at the sea forum page and tell me what you overwhelmingly see... posts about going paddling, or posts about stuff? Which kinds of post get multiple responses and extensive discussion, and which flatline? And we're not even on the gear forum.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Allan Olesen

Post by Allan Olesen »

Mark R wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:27 pm
Allan Olesen wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:39 pm
You presented a made-up problem
No, the problem is very real.
The made-up problem I referred to was the skeg wire problem. I suppose we can agree that you did not really want to know what to do with a kinked skeg wire.

And my point is that we all recognized that you did not want your question to be answered, so we didn't. Instead we used your thread for some happy foolishness.

I can't see how that shows anything about the difference between paddling threads and technical threads. It only shows something about the difference between real threads and bogus threads.

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton »

Allan wrote:we all recognized that you did not want your question to be answered, so we didn't. Instead we used your thread for some happy foolishness
Actually, I've been posting, not always very seriously, around the real question Mark was asking and the problem he's concerned about.
Mark wrote:No, the problem is very real
The situation is real, but it's not a problem for everybody. The fact that certain posts attract more discussion suggest that those are the posts that more people are interested in. I'm not averse to reading about paddling (or indeed contributing to writing about it) but it's actually going paddling that I really like. I suppose my main interest in any Forum is learning about stuff that will make my actual paddling more successful.

Song of the Paddle has a Blogs page, on which people write about their trips (one of which I've linked above) - should we have one here?

Ken_T

Post by Ken_T »

This forum has an equipment section for sea paddlers where questions about repairs can be posted.
Ken

Mark Gawler
Site Admin

Post by Mark Gawler »

I've only just noticed this thread was not about skeg wire, I should have guessed as Mark was the original poster.

I don't mind posts about all things paddling, if you want to talk about fettling a skeg wire that’s fine by me, some people like that kind of thing, others like writing-up trips it’s all part of paddling. I like Mark am disappointed there are very few posts about actual paddling trips to read, but I'm as guilty as the next for not writing up my trips. I'm not surprised trip write-ups get less replies than a question about fixing something as they are not asking a specific question.

I note there are a few suggestions above about changes to the forum that could make a difference, I'm not sure they would make a difference. I can see a Thumbs-up / +1 / Like feature may be useful, but phpBB the forum software does not have such a feature at present. I could not find a suitable phpBB extension last time I looked. I’m not keen on using extensions either as past experience has taught me they can be a bit of a maintenance nightmare.

The lack of trip write up may be down to the forum software, I know many find using a BB Code mark-up language to format their posts difficult.
Mark Gawler

Yellerbelly

Post by Yellerbelly »

Are the days of the bulletin board numbered?

They developed before there were sites like Facebook. After all Mark posted his trip report on FB and I read it there. Perhaps there a dilution of content when content can be hosted on so many different platforms.

My club set up its own private FB group as concern was expressed about trolling and privacy. So reports about what paddling people are doing are contained within these silos. Noone beyond my club would be interested in the paddling I do (and they're not very impressed). Not capable of 'elite' level trips such as the Cornwall coast, not sure I ever have been. It sets a very high bar.

Facebook is free. Easy to use for the non-technical. You can select your audience. You don't need to host your images on a seperate site and format links in the text. You can also impress your friends and family with your photos on the same platform.

I'm no fan of Facebook. It's just useful.

Like the idea of a 'Blogs' or trip report page but then what would be on the front page.

. . . . Ben

seawolf856

Post by seawolf856 »

OOoohh Noooo!! please don't send forums to room 101 in favour of FaceAche.

FB might be good for sharing news of what you had for breakfast but these forums and bulletin boards are the lifeblood of sports and pastimes such as ours. UK rivers is a brilliant platform and I have found the contributors absolutely amazing, including those with a sense of humour.

Long live UK rivers.