First Composite Boat Help

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
spenseakayaking

First Composite Boat Help

Post by spenseakayaking »

Looking for some advice please folks.

I’m in the market for my first composite boat and need some recommendations.

6ft and 100kg

Concerned at recommended paddler weights, are they fully loaded with all your gear on?

At the moment I’m looking at a Rockpool GT or Northshore Atlantic. Have a Scorpio my 2 MV ay the moment and I thinks it’s just too snug a fit.

Thanks,

Spence

Chris Bolton

Re: First Composite Boat Help

Post by Chris Bolton »

I wouldn't worry too much about the weight for the Rockpool GT - it will take a lot of gear. I've probably had 60kg of camping gear, food and drink in mine, plus my 75kg. But I would check whether you can fit in the seat - my son is about 95kg, and he won't fit in mine.

Mike A

Post by Mike A »

Can't go wrong with a hv explorer or tide race xplore L.

RickC

Post by RickC »

Hi Spence

Some high volume sea kayaks are seriously massive and you might find them just too big unless fully loaded. The Rockpool GT is a great boat but the cockpit is not overly generous and the seat can be a bit narrow for some. The Rockpool Menai18 might be an alternative. It's very, very big but surprisingly nimble.
Mike A wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:07 pm
Can't go wrong with a hv explorer or tide race xplore L
Mike A is spot-on. You'll find more info here https://britishseakayaks.co.uk/explorer-hv and a bit of research on the web will verify the pedigree. It has plenty of carrying capacity without feeling like a barge. There are different seat options (shape and size) and build quality is very good, They're made here in the UK. A good alternative is the NDK Romany Excel https://britishseakayaks.co.uk/romany-excel. It's a bit shorter than the Explorer-HV and has a bigger keyhole, making it easier to get in and out. Handy for awkward landings when an easy exit is needed!

As always, try before you buy and make sure it's in conditions and for long enough to check you don't suffer pinching or numbness. I'd want to spend at least 4 hours in any kayak before deciding to part with the cash.

Cheers, Rick

MikeB

Post by MikeB »

I'd hazard a safe guess that "paddler weight" is the weight of the paddler - so yes, you and your paddling gear. But not including any kit you carry in the boat. I'm 6'2" and 104 kg "out of the shower", and really like my new-to-me Xplore X. So yes, that's a boat to consider. If it's too big (and it is a big-blokes boat) then try an L.

This said, while I find it's just fine both as a day boat and a fully loaded tourer, a pal of mine of similar stature often says he'd like a smaller boat for day trips.

Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Have you looked at the Valley Sirona. They do 3 sizes, the 16-4 is 90-135Kg recommended paddler weight. http://www.valleyseakayaks.com/our-kaya ... els/sirona

Ian

spenseakayaking

Chris Bolton wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:07 pm
I wouldn't worry too much about the weight for the Rockpool GT - it will take a lot of gear. I've probably had 60kg of camping gear, food and drink in mine, plus my 75kg. But I would check whether you can fit in the seat - my son is about 95kg, and he won't fit in mine.
Ah thanks Chris, he’s similar weight to me and everyone
has said to me the GT is perfect. I think I just gotta try em all if possible.

spenseakayaking

MikeB wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:16 pm
I'd hazard a safe guess that "paddler weight" is the weight of the paddler - so yes, you and your paddling gear. But not including any kit you carry in the boat. I'm 6'2" and 104 kg "out of the shower", and really like my new-to-me Xplore X. So yes, that's a boat to consider. If it's too big (and it is a big-blokes boat) then try an L.

This said, while I find it's just fine both as a day boat and a fully loaded tourer, a pal of mine of similar stature often says he'd like a smaller boat for day trips.
Thanks Mike

spenseakayaking

RickC wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:08 am
Hi Spence

Some high volume sea kayaks are seriously massive and you might find them just too big unless fully loaded. The Rockpool GT is a great boat but the cockpit is not overly generous and the seat can be a bit narrow for some. The Rockpool Menai18 might be an alternative. It's very, very big but surprisingly nimble.
Mike A wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:07 pm
Can't go wrong with a hv explorer or tide race xplore L
Mike A is spot-on. You'll find more info here https://britishseakayaks.co.uk/explorer-hv and a bit of research on the web will verify the pedigree. It has plenty of carrying capacity without feeling like a barge. There are different seat options (shape and size) and build quality is very good, They're made here in the UK. A good alternative is the NDK Romany Excel https://britishseakayaks.co.uk/romany-excel. It's a bit shorter than the Explorer-HV and has a bigger keyhole, making it easier to get in and out. Handy for awkward landings when an easy exit is needed!

As always, try before you buy and make sure it's in conditions and for long enough to check you don't suffer pinching or numbness. I'd want to spend at least 4 hours in any kayak before deciding to part with the cash.

Cheers, Rick
Some great advice thanks Rick. 4 hrs in a boat, that’ll be tricky as I’m really thinking second hand rather than the hit of new. Plenty to chew over

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton »

Where are you, Spence? If you're anywhere near me, you can call in and have a try at sitting in my GT seat.

swagstaff

Post by swagstaff »

Northshore Ocean 17.6 is a bit bigger than the Atlantic so worth a try.
WHITEWATER ALL YEAR LONG

spenseakayaking

Chris Bolton wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:24 pm
Where are you, Spence? If you're anywhere near me, you can call in and have a try at sitting in my GT seat.
Hi Chris, just seen the message.
I’m in the Midlands but travel all over, where you based?
Spence

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton »

Spence, I've sent you a PM