Northshore Atlantic Question if I may?

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
T4Mac

Northshore Atlantic Question if I may?

Post by T4Mac »

In the absence of an email reply and calls to Northshore landline and mobile numbers, I wonder if their are any heavier paddlers could give advice on the plastic Atlantic.

On the Northshore site it says the 'paddler weight' is 110kg (I am 111kg). Does this mean that by the time I put on my gear/safety/kettle/water etc for day trips that the boat would not be suitable, as I am now over the 'paddler weight'?

allan09

Re: Northshore Atlantic Question if I may?

Post by allan09 »

I have the early model of the RM Atlantic.Basically its thinner plastic with the strengthening bar. I am 100 kg dressed to paddle and with it packed for a few nights trip me plus load would be in region of 125kg.

As I understand their figures its an indication of the paddler's weight that suits the boat, I guess in an ideal world you would be mid range to upper range. But total carrying capability will be different.

So I would say you should be ok. Give SeaKayakOban a call and speak to Stuart or Cathy. They stock Northshore and are very helpful.
https://www.seakayakoban.com/contact

Irish Sea

Post by Irish Sea »

If it fits you well you should be definately fine for daytrips. Even multidays with somewhat economical packing should be fine. The Atlantic has a decent bit of volume. I'm pretty sure paddler weight does refer to the "ideal size" of the paddler alone. There's definately room for more.

The Atlantic is a fantastic boat btw.

Curph

Post by Curph »

I've paddled the Atlantic RM on a couple of occasions day tripping only and not above F5 winds. I'm 6'2" and 116 kg first thing in the morning without clothes, food or equipment, so well over the 110 kg max. I expect by the time I'm wearing all my gear I'm probably closer to 125 kg.

I've been very happy with paddling the Atlantic unloaded. No nasty vices, easy to control direction, stable enough for me to rest the paddle in my lap and eat or drink something, take photo's etc. Rescues, both self and assisted, are simpler than in my own boat which is a Prijon Kodiak (great loaded, too big unloaded, but after all it is an expedition focused design).

I'd say for big guys like us the Atlantic RM is a good contender for a day boat, well worth taking the time to test paddle.

T4Mac

Post by T4Mac »

Many thanks for taking the time to reply everyone. I shall arrange a test drive, although they are all some distance away from South East Kent.

Jim

Post by Jim »

Swap a few litres of water for a water filter so you can make extra water instead of carrying it and that should save at least the 1kg you are over weight....

T4Mac

Post by T4Mac »

Cheers Jim Top Tip.

asmar

Post by asmar »

Did you ever had the chance to demo it?
I'm asking as I will be extremely surprised if you fit on the boat.
I've got many Atlantic's and paddlers above 185cm 90kg are very tight and feel unstable on it unless it is dead flat.

Sent from my HUAWEI M2-801W using Tapatalk

Yakrat151

Post by Yakrat151 »

Hi I have an northshore Atlantic RM triple layered polyethylene
I’m 6’1” 15 stone and my boat is fine, I’ve had it fully loaded for a 8 day self supported camping trip on the Isle of Mull and the scilly isles with out any dramas
I fully recommend the boat,
I am in fact selling mine, but only to buy a composite boat