Nordkapp Forti standard bulkhead position

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
jdinis

Nordkapp Forti standard bulkhead position

Post by jdinis »

Hi,

I'm about to order a Nordkapp Forti but, being on the short-side, was advised to have a custom bulkhead (the advantages being: lesser water when capsizing and have large foot support with foam footrest).

Just not sure on where to place the custom bulkhead.
My height is 5' 9", with an leg inseam of 31".

The Valley website (always short on info) requests the inseam measure and say will add 1 inch for safety.
But, should the bulkhead be placed and used with only one inch slice of foam?
Or is it better to have a larger margin?

Having more, say 5 inches, would allow for others than me to ride the boat (something to consider if reselling).
And, perhaps, to leave an hole in the middle of the foam rest to stretch the legs from time to time.

One final question is: can anyone tell me, on the nordkapp forti (or other), the length from front bulkhead to the rear of the cockpit rim?

This would allow me to check how much room is left from foot to front bulkhead on a standard configuration.

Many thanks,

Joao Dinis

Allan Olesen

Re: Nordkapp Forti standard bulkhead position

Post by Allan Olesen »

jdinis wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:56 pm

The Valley website (always short on info) requests the inseam measure and say will add 1 inch for safety.
But, should the bulkhead be placed and used with only one inch slice of foam?
What exactly are they selling? A kayak with normal footrests on rails, with footrests and bulkhead placed to fit you? Or a kayak with no footrests, intended for you to place a foam footrest?

If it is a kayak with normal footrests, you will probably have a lot more than 1 inch from your foot position to the bulkhead anyway, because some space between the footrest and the bulkhead is needed.

jdinis

Post by jdinis »

In case of a custom bulkhead, the normal footrests are optional.
The question is: do people with custom bulkheads also choose to have also the normal footrests?
Is it useful, down the road?

Irish Sea

Post by Irish Sea »

I bought an older 2nd hand Nordkapp a couple of years ago where the previous owner also had the bulkhead custom fitted (probably still 4-5 inches away from my feet). I have relatively short legs (about 30'' inseem)

It did also come with footrests. I quite quickly threw them out and replaced with a slighly angled foam block against the bulkhead. Never looked back!

I suppose you could always err on the side of caution and have them fit the bulkhead a little bit further forward than needed and compensate with a bit more foam. The advantage being that you could make a cutout in the middle to be able to stretch feet and you could also angle the foam a bit more for better ergonomics. Also the boat would fit a wider range of paddlers if lending it to somebody or selling it.

Flooded volume would be almost the same but you do of course give up a little bit of volume in the front compartment.

Andrew_Ayr

Post by Andrew_Ayr »

Hi Joao,

I ordered a Nordkapp Forti earlier this year and have had it since April. It is a great boat ! I ordered it with a custom bulkhead, I am 5' 10" and 32 inch inside leg. The boat arrived with a neatly cut out 30mm foam pad that sits against the custom bulkhead position. This was too far away for comfort so, using the original foam as a template, added about an additional 125mm of closed cell foam and angled it at about 30 degrees. I find this very comfortable indeed and far more comfortable than the standard adjustable footrests which I had in my previous boat. It takes a bit of playing around to get the ideal position and depth of foam but, in my opinion, well worth the effort.

The flooded volume is certainly less too.

I hope this helps !

Regards, Andrew.

jdinis

Post by jdinis »

Hi Andrew,

yes, it helps.

I think I'll go for for a custom bulkhead taylored for my tallest son. He has 35" inside leg, 4" more than me.
This way, the boat will fit every prospective user and it looks that adding foam 4" thick is not too much.
And will also order without standard footrests. Most likely they would never be used.

That trick of using an angled footrest looks interesting. I'll give it a try.

Thanks, Andrew and Irish Sea, for the tips.

Andrew_Ayr

Post by Andrew_Ayr »

Joao,
When you make the angled foam piece, make sure you make it a tight push fit otherwise it can float free if you come out of the boat when flooded as I found to my cost ! Since making a new tighter piece I have not had any problems. I got the foam from AS Watersports and used their 75mm mini cell foam block see the following; http://aswatersports.co.uk/shop/advance ... foam&go=GO
Regards, Andrew.