Cetus lv

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Mike A

Cetus lv

Post by Mike A » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:06 pm

After some feedback on the cetus lv ahead of hiring boats for an upcoming expedition.

Grateful for anyone's feedback re carrying capacity of the lv.

Paddler is about 115lb / 52kg, 5ft 3 ish.

Looking to hire boat for two week self supported expedition - tent (quasar), food & cooking equipment (petrol stove) will be shared between 2 boats. Heading to Alaska in summer, so whilst not winter, full kit is needed.

Is the lv ok for this or have people found it tight for volume?

Thanks in advance

pathbrae

Re: Cetus lv

Post by pathbrae » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:25 pm

What shoe size? I couldn't get my size 9s comfy under the deck of the LV
So much sea - so little time to see it.

Mike A

Post by Mike A » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:08 pm

Only small, size 5 and generally petite.

I dont think cockpit size is an issue, it's purely what the carrying capacity is for a 2 week trip. I would hate to rock up with two weeks supplies (no booze and we do generally pack lightish) and struggle to get the munchies in.

Backwater

Post by Backwater » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:01 pm

There's a great facility here:- http://www.kayakacrossthewater.co.uk/se ... son-chart/
If you want facts and figures........
Hope you have a great trip.

Allan Olesen

Post by Allan Olesen » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:15 pm

Backwater wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:01 pm
There's a great facility here:- http://www.kayakacrossthewater.co.uk/se ... son-chart/
How do they define max. load? Does it include paddler weight? And what are the criteria for the load?

The answers for those questions could be very different for different manufacturers. And if you look at the data, they obviously are:
  • The Cetus MV (which I have paddled in the Scorpio version) is the largest kayak I have paddled, and it is listed with a max. load of 115 kg.
  • The Ivalu (which my daughter paddles) is the smallest full length kayak I have ever seen, and it is listed with a max. load of 120 kg. People around here refer to that kayak as "The handbag".

GrahamC

Post by GrahamC » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:02 pm

I paddle the Cetus LV and for the size and weight you mention it will fit very well. I am 146lb and 5'7" and if I paddle an MV it feels like a battleship and does not handle anywhere near as responsively as the LV. The LV on edge is very sweet, the MV is harder for me to keep on edge, the paddler that you mention is significantly smaller and lighter so they may be overboated in the MV. The deck is considerably lower on the LV than the MV and the penalty is about 30L less load space (if I recall correctly) - a lot will come down to how you can pack it.

Graham