Reviews on Typhoon Multisport Hinge/Reed Chillcheeter drysuit please

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
thekracken

Reviews on Typhoon Multisport Hinge/Reed Chillcheeter drysuit please

Post by thekracken » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:20 pm

Hi,
I need a new dry suit...no one mention Kokotat please(not because of price)...

I am down to Reed Chillcheeter Aquatherm paddlesuit with Verzizip vs. Typhoon Multisport Hinge.

I am not only looking for what people out there think of the actual suits for sea kayaking, but also the female perspective re going to the toilet. I do appreciate that most drysuits leak after a time and that personal choice will through, but I am a long way from the shops.
Thanking you and looking forward to your kind comments.

PlymouthDamo

Re: Reviews on Typhoon Multisport Hinge/Reed Chillcheeter drysuit please

Post by PlymouthDamo » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:25 pm

I think me and you think the same about Kokatat - dreadful customer service for a supposedly premium product. However, I have to begrudgingly acknowledge they make hard-wearing kit that tends to work.

Two of my paddling buddies have recently discovered that Reed are the opposite - i.e. they're very nice people, but their aquatherm paddle-suits just don't work. Two specific problems: 1. The neck/wrist seal system they use doesn't work. 2. The material is so fragile that the feet and forearms will end up leaking like sieves regardless of how much care you take of them. Opinion on Reed is polarised - some think it's the best thing ever, providing you accept that the best solution to paddling comfort doesn't necessarily mean staying bone dry. I take the opposite view - if you get seawater into your drysuit, then you're going to have to rinse whatever you're wearing underneath in fresh water - awkward for trips - and it's just not warm enough if you want to practice rolling/rescues throughout the winter. Even a small seep into your forearms will find its way into the rest of your suit if you're moving around. For the sort of paddling we do - especially through the winter - Reed gear isn't up to the job.

I keep hearing good things about Typhoon being good quality for the money - I'd be interested to hear what owners have got to say about it.

PhilAyr

Post by PhilAyr » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:30 pm

Two of my paddling buddies have recently discovered that Reed are the opposite - i.e. they're very nice people, but their aquatherm paddle-suits just don't work.
Just what I didn't want to hear ! I have also heard some bad reviews of Typhoon.

So that's it then, despite their after sales service there is only one brand of drysuit worth buying and that's Kokatat. I had better start saving or give up winter paddling !

kind regards

Phil

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:14 pm

Reed describe theirs as a paddle suit, not a dry suit. It's not intended for repeated rolling and rescues. My son used one for a week in British Columbia, for wet landings and rough water, and it was good for that. A friend who guides sea kayaking in cold areas has a Kokotat and a Typhoon, and prefers the Typhoon. I have a Typhoon PS220, and like it, apart from the features that are designed for wearing with lifejacket rather than a BA, like a fleece lined hand warming pocket on the front. I bought it with neoprene seals rather than latex, good for extended wear when you don't plan to get wet but want to stay dry enough to stay alive if you do.

jamiemagee

Post by jamiemagee » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:34 pm

I've a Typhoon multisport 4. I've seen nothing negative about Typhoon.

I've only had one issue with my suit in three years now, the feet leaked. Looked online and wasn't surprised to find out they aren't on the warranty. Contacted typhoon for advice and they said pop it in the post and we'll repair for free.

I find it well built and has a quality feel to the material, paired with great customer service I'd happily recommend them and indeed just have done to a friend who bought the hinge

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

sloegin

Post by sloegin » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:43 pm

I believe the Typhoon PS220 is the best balance of value to quality. If I had to buy another suit today I would buy another one.
North shore Ocean 17.6

blueythe

Post by blueythe » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:08 pm

I have had a Typhoon multi sport 4 for over 4 years now and has had a lot of use. Averaging a sea trip every 2 week and weekly use on the river from april to June. I am still learning this game so it's had lots use clambering over the rear deck for rescue practices etc. I have changed one set of neck and cuff latex seals after 3 years and had to change a neck seal just recently. It's a great bit of kit for the price. I cannot praise the after sales and repairs enough either. For recent changed of the neck seal, they pressure tested the suit and found a small leak under the arms and one in the RH sock they the repaired them even though I never experienced any water ingress. What's great is that the guy who is repairing your suit picks up the phone and talks you through the repair. They are quick as well and typically turn things around within a week. They also repair other brands and are reasonably priced in my opinion.

Kokatat sound great but from comments about after sales service I not sure if I would be prepared to pay the premium. But Since we are on the topic; how durable are they and anyone got any experience of the Kokatat Radius dry suit 'cause I like versatility that it may offer.

PlymouthDamo

Post by PlymouthDamo » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:06 pm

blueythe wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:08 pm
Kokatat sound great but from comments about after sales service I not sure if I would be prepared to pay the premium. But Since we are on the topic; how durable are they and anyone got any experience of the Kokatat Radius dry suit 'cause I like versatility that it may offer.
My experience of Kokatat gear has been with their 'Hydrus 3L' fabric, which is much cheaper and presumably much less breathable than Goretex. In terms of durability, I can't fault it - I've given mine a hard life over the past two or three years and it's not needed a repair apart from the latex wrist and neck seals, which I've repaired/replaced myself. The fabric is extremely tough - on a paddling symposium, we ended up doing 30 minutes of vigorous exercise/stretching on a sharp stony beach in our drysuits. It was a ridiculous thing for the instructor to have had us doing but my suit has remained dry since.

I've got no experience of the Radius or Idol zipped suits, but I wouldn't touch them as I don't trust Kokatat to take care of things if there is a problem with the proprietary zip. The problem I've had with their customer service related to a clear, demonstrable design deficiency and they, and their UK agents, acted like a shifty second-hand car salesman. (Confusingly, you will also hear glowing views about their customer service, but I think this relates exclusively to their Goretex suits where I'm assuming they've got an agreement with Goretex that they will fund the cost of a new replacement suit in the event of any problem with the fabric.)

Douglas Wilcox

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:57 pm

I like Reed gear as it is well made and they have excellent customer support. I have two of their spraydecks and various other items. A few years ago I bought one of their paddle suits from Kari-tek. I was well aware that it was not a dry suit but I bought it to use in late spring when the water is still cold but the air temperature is relatively high for a dry suit.

Unfortunately I did not get along with it and I sold it to a friend in Australia who found it ideal for his use. I found the neck just too tight to get comfortably over my head. The material is soft, supple and the cut unrestrictive but it really is not very breathable. I was much cooler in my Kokatat Goretex suit so the Reed did not suit my requirements but several of my friends who do not do winter rolling practice have them and swear by them.

One of my adult daughters has a Typhoon dry suit. It is very well made but the material is much stiffer and more restrictive than Goretex. Although it is more breathable than the Reed material it is not nearly so breathable as Goretex but it is cheaper and as such represents excellent value for money. I can't comment about its longevity as my daughter has not yet worn it a great deal. However, many years ago I had a Typhoon dinghy dry suit which I also used for windsurfing. I changed the latex seals at 3 years and it remained dry for a full 5 years of very hard summer and winter use before it delaminated at several seams and started to leak badly. At that point it was not worth repairing but I had more than got my money's worth from it.

My Kokatat Goretex suit is now in its 10th season. Over that time two panels started to leak in its first year, Stuart at Sea Kayak Oban sent it back to Kokatat USA (System X were not UK agents then). Kokatat USA fixed it without problem.

I have had the latex seals in this suit replaced twice, first time by Rubberman, then recently I had SystemX replace the seals and pressure test the suit and repair a number of pinholes. The suit is currently as effective and dry as a brand new suit. Although it was expensive, I think I have had excellent value for money from it. Due to to the breathability of Goretex, I find I continue to wear it later in the year when the air temperature is too high for less breathable suits but the water temperature is still too low for planned/unplanned immersion without a drysuit.

I have had no problems with SystemX who have also serviced/pressure tested/repaired two Kokatat cags and two Kokatat Whirlpool bibs for me.

Douglas

Franky

Post by Franky » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:36 pm

Anyone had issues with the Typhoon Multisport Hinge starting to leak around the lower back? Or is it normal to get a wet patch here, for whatever reason? (Can't think why, since the gap in the zip is at the front.)

I'm used to wearing separates, so being damp is normal for me, and I'm not sure if I should expect more from a dry suit.

I've had my Typhoon 8 months, and worn it maybe 20 times.

Owen

Post by Owen » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:16 pm

You shouldn't be getting wet in the lower back or anywhere else. You will get a bit sweaty under your BA as your suit can't breath there. Same goes for your spraydeck.

Franky

Post by Franky » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:08 pm

Thanks. I'm pretty sure it's not sweat - it goes through 3 layers of clothing. I don't think it used to get wet there when I first bought it. And there are no similar patches elsewhere.

(I should have mentioned that I'm a white water paddler, but this thread came up when I did a search on the MS Hinge. So I possibly get splashed more than most people reading this.)

I wonder if it is a manufacturing flaw. If so, it would explain why these dry suits are being sold at a discount in many places.

jamiemagee

Post by jamiemagee » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:40 pm

If you're sure it's a leak get onto Typhoon. They've got great customer service in my experience.

Franky

Post by Franky » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:07 pm

jamiemagee wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:40 pm
If you're sure it's a leak get onto Typhoon. They've got great customer service in my experience.
Thanks. That's the obvious thing to do, but this is a bad time of year to be without a dry suit! I'm thinking it might be quicker (and cheaper, when you factor in postage) to repair it myself.

It's liveable-with for the moment anyway.

jamiemagee

Post by jamiemagee » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:38 am

I agree but honestly speak to them. If nothing else they may say send it in later in the year

Franky

Post by Franky » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:51 am

Update. I showed my dry suit to another paddler, and he spotted the problem: the sealing tape had worn away where the buckle of the braces had rubbed against it. Maybe something for other owners of the Hinge to look out for. You can't change the position of the buckle, but you might be able to stick something on the fabric behind it.

Anyway, I sent the suit back to Typhoon and they were quick about repairing it. They re-sealed the seams, and sticked on sealing tape "plasters" where necessary.

It did mean I was without my dry suit for a couple of weeks (would have been less if it weren't for a mess-up on my part). I was dreading wearing separates again, but it wasn't too bad - a lot damper above the waist, but not a whole lot colder.

I would advise anyone to keep an eye on the seams on their dry suits. Since I got my suit back, I've looked at it more closely, and spotted a few other slightly worn areas on the tape. May well try to repair it myself in future if I can get my hands on some tape.