A man for all seasons, a boat for all waters?

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Cumbria

A man for all seasons, a boat for all waters?

Post by Cumbria »

I'm looking to add a 16' plus sea / touring boat, predominantly for use on the Cumbrian lakes, coast and estuaries.

Most recently I've been considering the perception essence, the venture Jura and on most days of the week the leading contender is the Wilderness zephyr.

As well as regular paddles as above I've also dreamed up a circular route involving the Llangollen and Shropshire union canals along with the Dee from Ty Mawr to Chester.

Thoughts about 16' plus boats which could eat up the canal niles but also contend with the GII rapids whilst accommodating a couple of days of gear and a paddler in the short and chunky category?

Irish Sea

Re: A man for all seasons, a boat for all waters?

Post by Irish Sea »

The new Valley Sirona comes to mind. Not slow, quite playful and easily enough space for a couple of days. Comes in different sizes and materials so you can pick what fits/works best for you.

Cumbria

Post by Cumbria »

That's an interesting option, seems to be similar to the Zephyr but longer, but also significantly more spendy, an extra 1/3 on top of the other options.

Grian

Post by Grian »

The boat for every occasion, the Romany!

Cumbria

Post by Cumbria »

Romany sport looks good! Not a bad price!

pathbrae

Post by pathbrae »

If you plan to throw it down the Dee (or anything similar) a plastic boat will be more likely to survive than a composite, similarly for any rock hopping etc - but for everything else - a composite boat is just "nicer" even if it is more expensive. Keep an eye on SH boats - you might be lucky and pick up something a few years old for a lot less than new.
So much sea - so little time to see it.

Tommy 2 thumbs

Post by Tommy 2 thumbs »

If you’re looking for something that can handle a bit of whitewater.....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CgkxUQBZm8M

It’ll take enough gear for a few days with some carefull packing. It’s a bit shorter than you’re looking for but it tracks reasonably well with a bit of skeg
P&H Cetus MV, Dagger Stratos S

Cumbria

Post by Cumbria »

That was an impressive bit of paddling! I've seen the Stratos up close and it is a grand looking boat and was right at the top of my list last year - however made a head over heart decision and bought a second hand Carolina for a great price. I wonder how much better a slightly longer boat - Wilderness Zephyr or Perception Essence is on a longer coastal or touring trip? Maybe there is no one perfect boat, maybe I need two!

seawolf856

Post by seawolf856 »

You can put to sea in a beautiful pea green boat, or go over Niagara falls in a barrel but neither is really suitable for the situation.
To be honest if you are prepared to compromise on handling/speed/comfort/safety then you could pretty much paddle anything anywhere.
It is understandable that if you want to pursue various paddling disciplines then you would look for a tool to do all jobs and many people new to paddle sports (might not be you) look for a do it all. However just like a 'multi-tool' screw driver will probably do the job, the chances of skinning your knuckles and breaking the tool are high.
All of the boats you have listed are great 'hybrids', anything over 16' will be ok in a straight line and the Carolina should serve you well on the lakes, coast and estuaries. One of our club boats is a Carolina and it is regularly paddled on the lower Dee at Chester as well as on flat sea trips by experienced paddlers and newbies alike. I'm not sure I'd like to try it on GII Dee rapids though. I have a plastic Venture Jura MV, which has taken me around Anglesey but it won't go down the weir at Chester.

Arthur

Post by Arthur »

Irish Sea wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:06 pm
The new Valley Sirona comes to mind.
Another vote for the Sirona. I tried a 16.1 this week alongside a P&H Cetus and felt 'connected' to the Valley. The Cetus felt a bit bulky and unresponsive (this is on flat water and I'm no expert). Build quality and finish of the Sirona looked superior. I'm struggling to afford one at the moment, but I put down a deposit and have put the family silver up for auction... just don't tell my wife!