Sea kayak trips with shuttles by public transport

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
SWPaddler

Sea kayak trips with shuttles by public transport

Post by SWPaddler » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:22 pm

I know of a few. Have you any more suggestions?

• Brixham to Kingswear. Shuttle by Stagecoach bus number 18
• Plymouth: Calstock to Tamar Bridge East side. Shuttle by train from St Budeaux to Calstock. This shuttle is easier than the drive.
• Plymouth: Lynher river from Notter Bridge to Saltash. Shuttle by bus 11 or 72, 72A
• Plymouth: there may be another trip from Tideford to Saltash using the Notter Bridge buses, but I am not sure if the river is navigable from Tideford to St Germans.

TheEcho

Re: Sea kayak trips with shuttles by public transport

Post by TheEcho » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:54 pm

Tidal Thames through central London.

nickcrowhurst

Post by nickcrowhurst » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:21 pm

SWPaddler wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:22 pm
Plymouth: there may be another trip from Tideford to Saltash using the Notter Bridge buses, but I am not sure if the river is navigable from Tideford to St Germans.
The Tiddy is tidal and, in my experience, paddleable, from behind the petrol station at Tideford. It's a pretty meandering stream at high water. There is a resident swans' nest part way down towards St Germans. I have not accessed the stream at Tideford, but have paddled from Saltash to Tideford and returned the same way.
Nick.

robhorton

Post by robhorton » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:35 am

Eastbourne to Seaford has regular buses if paddling past Beachy Head and the Seven Sisters.

Mark Gawler
Site Admin

Post by Mark Gawler » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:25 pm

Wareham to Swanage, shuttle by steam train.
Mark Gawler

rockhopper

Post by rockhopper » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:55 pm

Oh! how about paddling from Paignton or Goodrington Sands past Brixham and to Kingswear (Dartmouth) and the catching the steam train back.. very scenic!!

Rog.

Mike A

Post by Mike A » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:36 pm

Whittier to Valdeez, takes as long as you need but at least a few days, and then ferry back to start.

Lovely

Schooner

Post by Schooner » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:09 pm

Fort Augustus to Inverness returning to Fort Augustus on the CityLink coach

Sent from my SM-T230 using Tapatalk

Jonathan.

Post by Jonathan. » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:34 am

Wells next the Sea to Burnham Overy Staithe.

Coasthopper shuttle
============
Northshore Atlantic
============

PeterG

Post by PeterG » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:26 pm

Leave the car in Marseilles and trolley on ferry to any of the ports on Corsica and return from another or go right round.

Closer to home excellent bus service from Edinburgh to Berwick serving all the get ins and get outs along this nice stretch of coast

TechnoEngineer

Post by TechnoEngineer » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:34 pm

Caledonian Canal; Inverness to Fort William
XL-Burn-3 / Monstar / Kodiak / My Videos

Douglas Wilcox

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:20 am

Arran from Portencross then get the ferry back to Ardrossan and shuttle to Portencross.

The mountain views on the crossing from Bute to Sannox more than match those on the Elgol to Loch na Cuilce crossing of Loch Scavaig on Skye.

This is a great paddle for a short winter day and the curry or fish and chips on the ferry back is something to look forward to.

Douglas

Robert Craig

Post by Robert Craig » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:04 pm

Mallaig to to Donnie, return to Armadale, ferry back to Mallaig (avoids the crossing from Armadale)

Kirsten

Post by Kirsten » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:55 pm

Glenfinnan to Mallaig. Bus back to Glenfinnan or (steam) train. Did the shuttle at the beginning and got the midday bus back to the start.

On this route you have Freshwater loch, a river (with some wee rapids and a big drop if you get your timing wrong) and finally the sea. Yes, it is a Multiday trip as at the shortest still 80km.

Robert Craig

Post by Robert Craig » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:06 pm

That's a good trip, but does it count if you don't put your kayak on the public transport?

Glenfinnan to Lochailort is similar, though the scenery isn't as good.

thekracken

Post by thekracken » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:43 pm

Kirsten wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:55 pm
Glenfinnan to Mallaig. Bus back to Glenfinnan or (steam) train. Did the shuttle at the beginning and got the midday bus back to the start.

On this route you have Freshwater loch, a river (with some wee rapids and a big drop if you get your timing wrong) and finally the sea. Yes, it is a Multiday trip as at the shortest still 80km.
Hi Kirsten,

Which route do you take recommend on the Glenfinnan to Mallaig? Do you go via Loch Shiel-River Shiel-Sound of Arisaig and along the west coast to Mallaig? I know this sounds a bitty dense, but just wished to clarify.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:23 pm

I've not done it, but one of our members has - get the ferry from Uig over to Barra, paddle up the chain and come in to West Loch Tarbert, portage across to East Loch Tarbert and then take the ferry back to Uig. Or one could just continue up the east side of the chain to ELT.

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:27 pm

I've done trips with the ferry from Oban to Barra or S Uist, then come back on the other, likewise Uig to Loch Maddy or Tarbert and back via the other. But I don't think you can mix the two, there's no ferry from Uig to Barra.

Not done it myself but people do paddle across the Minch from Uig and return on the ferry. Can do the same on most ferries, eg, Oban - Tobermory - Coll, etc. Kayak on a trolley is the same fare as a bike, ie, nill. But it must be wheeled on, not carried.

Kirsten

Post by Kirsten » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:12 pm

thekracken wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:43 pm
Kirsten wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:55 pm

Hi Kirsten,

Which route do you take recommend on the Glenfinnan to Mallaig? Do you go via Loch Shiel-River Shiel-Sound of Arisaig and along the west coast to Mallaig? I know this sounds a bitty dense, but just wished to clarify.
Pretty much. Wasn't suppose to use the bus to do the shuttle, but due to unforeseen circumstances it became a Solo Trip and somehow I had to get my car to the finish (I prefer to have clean and dry clothes/shoes at the finish and to get rid of salty/wet stuff as fast as possible). The weather deteriotated on the second day (started with drizzle and then came the wind) and i wasn't in the mood to explore Moidart. I was short cutting whenever possible as the conditions weren't nowhere near nice for a lazy paddle, in hindsight at least the Open Crossing I did on the second morning I should not have done being on my own (not to mention some of the headlands, were I was happy not pay attention to other paddlers as I was busy to keep myself upright and away from rocks.

Was planned a 4 day trip with another day reserve, but I managed it in 2.5days (started in Glenfinnan about 2pm on Monday and beached at 4pm on Wednesday in Mallaig) - 15k + 35k + 30k.

Think next time when Mallaig is involved it will be just Armadale - Mallaig or when I'm in a very good mood, Island hopping at the Small Isles. Which I actually did ones. Ferry to Canna, then a day on Canna (watching Puffins, playing Hide and Seek with the Seals and a porpoise) and then from Canna to Rum to catch the ferry back to Mallaig.