Experienced paddler but new to Sea Kayaking

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
paddlersteve

Experienced paddler but new to Sea Kayaking

Post by paddlersteve » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:36 pm

I've been a recreational white water paddler for 25 years and whilst I still enjoy it, my foot is off the pedal and I'm looking at diversifying my interests in paddlesport. I live in Penarth, just outside Cardiff so the South Wales, Gower, Pembrokeshire area is on the doorstep. Just bought myself a Valley Sea Kayak and I'm wanting to start testing the water. Whilst I've still some experience to build on the sea, I'm more than comfortable on the water and as a Coastguard volunteer, I have developed a good understanding of the sea.

So, what are your top tips?

Any major do's or don'ts for someone transitioning into the discipline?
Any recommended guide / technique / skills books that are a must have?
Are there any groups in the region that would welcome a new member?

Fozzy

Re: Experienced paddler but new to Sea Kayaking

Post by Fozzy » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:12 pm

Get yourself on the Sea Kayak Cymru facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/SeaKayakCymru/ Lots of them are based in your area and they are a great bunch and very friendly, a group of them meet most wednesdays at Newton Bay and run regular trips out west to Pembrokeshire.

Hope to meet you with them sometime soon

Steve

Jim

Post by Jim » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:37 pm

Finding a group to paddle with is always the best idea, but either way here are some of my top tips:

- Check the forecast, more than beaufort 3 can get exciting so start with 3 or less.
- Check the tides, lots of texts and courses go on at length about the options for crossing a tide stream most efficiently, however; 90% of the time you can plan a perfectly good paddle that just goes with the tide and doesn't muck around trying to cross it or go against it. Always do that when possible :)
- A fairly fit paddler in a touring boat can manage about 3 knots for hours at a time in light winds, assume that or less when planning.
- Enjoy it.

paddlersteve

Post by paddlersteve » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:59 am

Thank you both.

I'd had a search for a Facebook group like that as I was certain there would be one, but hadn't found it. Many thanks!

jamesl2play

Post by jamesl2play » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:25 pm

I paddle with the group on Face Book Cymru Steve.

See you on the water.