Loch Linnhe - Local Info Please

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Northern Blue

Loch Linnhe - Local Info Please

Post by Northern Blue » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:14 pm

Hi,

I'm currently down on the Mull of Galloway with my camper, but in the next week or so will be travelling north and staying on a site at Bunree, Inchree. The site is right on the shore of Loch Linnhe and has its own slip. I've used the site in the past as a base for climbing in Glencoe, but never kayaked there before.

I've got a friend coming up with his Cetus and if the weather is ok, we're planning on a couple of paddles from the site, probably following the shoreline north towards Fort William.

Is there anywhere that's considered as a 'must see', or more importantly, anywhere that we need to keep away from, or should be aware of.

TIA

Douglas Wilcox

Re: Loch Linnhe - Local Info Please

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:10 pm

I hope you get a chance to Paddle the Mull of Galloway and the Mull of Logan while you are in the SW.

Bunree is an ace location. Corran narrows right on the door step for some tidal fun. Down Loch Linnhe past Eileen Balnagowan to Shuna and Castle Stalker, might see a sea eagle on the way. Top end of Lismore for more tides and industrial archaeology. Loch `Ceran is a scenic diversion with more tides at the entrance and the eastern narrows with views of Being Sguilaird. Bottom end of Lismore for more tides and lots of castles. The NW shore of Loch Linnhe has wilderness interspersed with the biggest quarry in Europe, bulk carriers coexist with sea eagles, some remote bothies and a restaurant at Kingairloch.

East to Loch Leven with more fantastic scenery and two sets of tidal narrows. The Isles of Glencoe are worth a visit for the slate tomb stones. North to Fort William you can paddle up the River Lochy as far as you can. A shuttle from the south shore of the west end of Loch Eil back to Bunree would be a good trip. Loch Eil has amazing views of Ben Nevis and you might see the Jacobite steam train. It also has more tidal narrows. Once through these Corpach at the entrance to the Caledonian canal is very scenic with more views to the Ben.

Have fun :o)

Douglas

Northern Blue

Post by Northern Blue » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:36 pm

Thanks for taking the time to reply Douglas, it sounds excellent, but I should have mentioned that because I'm touring mainly by myself, I only brought my fishing kayak with me and that is a big old lump to be too adventurous in, especially in the quicker tidal stuff.

I only found out a couple of days ago that my friend is up at Fife next weekend with his motorhome and it was a late suggestion that he join me at Bunree.

Jim

Post by Jim » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:43 pm

In that case you can probably have a good day out just pootling north towards Fort Bill. Make sure you time Corran narrows to go through with the tide.

There is a picnic site not too far north of Corran but the height restriction doesn't let motorhomes in (they can use the layby opposite) if you find it all too much so early, or keep going up. I paddled down to the picnic site from Loch Eil With Douglas a few years ago, we noted that from the water you get far better views of Ben Nevis than you can from the road, you can even pick out the notorious Five Finger Gully if you look carefully.

Fort William itself has a fairly uninspiring waterfront, but the area around Inverlochy and Corpach is quite interesting with some good views of the north face of Ben Nevis, but it might be too far in a fishing kayak, unless you shuttle one of your vehicles up that way first.

Northern Blue

Post by Northern Blue » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:02 pm

Thanks Jim, I'm hoping the weather holds and this wind drops a bit, before next week. If I've got wifi access, 'll post an update once we're finished.

Northern Blue

Post by Northern Blue » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:34 pm

Thanks Doug & Jim, that's the week over with, but I enjoyed the area so much that I've already decided to come back without the fishing kayak.

There's no comparison between the speed of the Cetus and my Thresher, however I still got to see places that I wouldn't have done otherwise and got a few 6 & 7 mile trips in.

I'm heading north from here in the morning, with no particular destinations in mind, but staying NW for a while and hoping to get a few more trips out before heading down the east coast to home.

Ken.