Keel Protector on Corelite PE Kayak P and H

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
kayakbiker

Keel Protector on Corelite PE Kayak P and H

Post by kayakbiker » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:36 pm

I've recently noticed a bit of wear on the end of my kayak which seems to be due lifting it on end when loading on my car. Just wondering is there any good products that I could use to provide some protection. I tried plain old gaffer tape but it came off too easily. Has anyone tried Kealeazy on a Corelite kayak
Thanks for any tips

nigelhatton

Re: Keel Protector on Corelite PE Kayak P and H

Post by nigelhatton » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:17 pm

I use a 2 metre long kayak cradle, a bit like vee bars, the front arms rotate 45° so that I can lift the front end into the arms and then lift up the back and lift that into the arms. The back end of the kayak is on the ground whilst lifting the front up so I put a piece of rubber pipe cladding onto the rear end corner where it was touching the ground. Both my kayaks are fibreglass and I don't like scratching them.

Jim

Post by Jim » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:13 am

You could try helicopter tape, although I'm not sure how well it will adhere to a scuffed surface, or to PE.

Another posssibility which should work well is to use West System G-flex epoxy and some kevlar tape. Download the G-flex instructions and read up on the preparation for PE, you need to abrade and flame oxidise the surface first for a good bond (so some scuffing will help). Ordinary epoxy won't last long on PE but the flexible G-fex epoxy is reported to - I've only used it on a royalex boat which has not had enough post repair abuse to make an informed judgement for myself.

kayak1

Post by kayak1 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:33 pm

I have used Kealeasy..Brilliant stuff.. quite easy to apply, my only regret is I should of ordered a longer piece for the whole length of the boat instead of the wear areas on the front and back of the boat..

Jim

Post by Jim » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:59 pm

kayak1 wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:33 pm
I have used Kealeasy..Brilliant stuff.. quite easy to apply, my only regret is I should of ordered a longer piece for the whole length of the boat instead of the wear areas on the front and back of the boat..
Your glowing reccommendation is missing the key info about whether you used it on a PE (corelite) boat, or a composite boat?

adventureagent

Post by adventureagent » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:22 am

Jims advice re: West System G-flex epoxy

It works very well on plastic. A fellow paddler has it on his poly cockpit rim. Don't ask how it broke there. I was told that it occured during rolling. (?) In this case, the repair involved heavy cloth. I think thinner/lighter would have been better. The Kevlar tape sounds smarter. It bonds.
CELEBRATE LIFE: PADDLE by ALL MEANS !

kayak1

Post by kayak1 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:35 pm

Its Plastic Jim..much easier than what I thought..bends round corners..take your time and really good results can be made..

Ken_T

Post by Ken_T » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:34 pm

I have used keel easy on a number of boats & found it sticks well & is very durable.
Ken

kayakbiker

Post by kayakbiker » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:36 pm

Thanks for the advice. I tried helicopter tape but unfortunately it did not stick very well at all. It's great on my mtb though.

I will try Keeleazy.
Cheers