WAP any ideas on what has not been switched off

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
PeterG

WAP any ideas on what has not been switched off

Post by PeterG » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:19 pm

Using a water resistant builders phone for emergencies, the web is now almost impossible to access due to sites closing down their text only services for instance the met office no longer supports older phones at all. WAP just hangs on with good marine forecasts at weatheronline and some local weather stations for real time conditions i.e. chimet.co.uk/wap . With o2 WAP has the other advantage of being free so my £10 credit will last several years with only the odd text or voice call.

Does anyone else still use WAP and can you recommend any useful sites, maybe the providers have forgotten to switch some off.

Douglas Wilcox

Re: WAP any ideas on what has not been switched off

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:51 am

Hello Peter, like you I used an old Nokia builder's phone to get WAP forecasts on O2 when I was away. Like you I discovered that weatheronline and many other sites I used stopped supporting WAP. I eventually bought a smart phone and a sim only deal with Virgin as it is a cheaper way to use the EE network that has better mast locations for me than O2.

Funnily enough chimet.co.uk/wap is one WAP site that is still available. It works with my iPhoneSE using the Safari browser though there is not much point as the full website reads better.

Douglas

Jim

Post by Jim » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:27 am

Do the met office still do SMS shipping/inshore waters? I always used to use that service rather than WAP.
Which kind of highlights that it has been a while since I've been on a camping trip - so many things to do!

Strad

Post by Strad » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:40 am

Haven't used wap for ages, buy a really cheap smart phone, a water proof bag and a bunch of silica gel sachets....

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Old School?? I miss my AQII..
Graham Stradling