Shoulder pain solved

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Grian

Shoulder pain solved

Post by Grian » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:54 am

For years I'd find that by the end of the day I'd have a hotspot of pain in my left shoulder. I didn't try a different type of paddle since the exact same discomfort happens when doing other activities, so I assumed it was inevitable.

This year I tried a lower angle Camano which immediately reduced the discomfort by about 95%. Then I switched to an incredibly lightweight, small-bladed Epic Touring paddle and now there is absolutely no trace of pain. Zero, none, nil, nada. I can't quite believe it, I am SO happy.

In case anyone else has unnecessary discomfort, it might be worth trying a different paddle!!

PeterG

Re: Shoulder pain solved

Post by PeterG » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:22 pm

My wife has always liked the Epic relaxed but you could go straight back to the future, go Greenland ;-)

Grian

Post by Grian » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:39 pm

Ah tempting! But I'm already struggling keeping pace, though it's partly psychological I think. By myself I feel very comfortable with the small blade and have the impression that I'm fairly zipping along. In company I feel under pressure and lose the nice effortless sensation.

adventureagent

Post by adventureagent » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:53 pm

Ya.

It's simply amazing how a shaft flex / rigidity, length, and blade size affect the whole. Change just one factor and you're a new paddler.

I started using the Epic small/med (women) paddle about three years ago. I'm blown away by how difficult it was to figure out what "lift" is, how to stroke, how to rotate, the paddles path and all. I have no coach.

I did benefit from instruction forty years ago, from Provincial and National Coach and the teams. But THIS is uncharted waters. I'm loving it, with the exception of places with chop amid strong, strong current. There, I think I'm unnerved by the concave/convex blade. I don't think I was this challenged by Kober Weltmeister type blades.

I'm also adjusting to the different response of hard chines after decades of an entirely round hull.

Congrats on the good changes. Good that you brought up the subject. Someone will benefit. Keep paddling. What a great obsession. What a great crowd on this website.
CELEBRATE LIFE: PADDLE by ALL MEANS !

GregMiller

Post by GregMiller » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:35 pm

I know it's a big ask, but I wish more manufacturers had the option for different stiffnesses of shaft.

Jantex offer 4 shaft options (for their wing blades) -.
http://www.jantex.sk/products/accessories/kayak-shafts

Braca also offer 3 options -
http://paddles.braca-sport.com/paddles/ ... icane.html

I have much less stiffness and soreness in my shoulders and elbows after a days paddling with my Jantex wing (with a soft shaft) than with my carbon Werner Shuna and I'm sure I work just as had with both.

Always good to check out the various options.

Greg

Jim

Post by Jim » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:14 pm

Well done finding a paddle that suits you, it is much more important than most people think.

If you are having trouble keeping up, consider getting some forward paddling coaching - I've had some over the last year or so and managed to knock 19 minutes off my PB in the Oban Sea Kayak Race just through improved technique (same boat and paddle as previously). Don't worry about BCU qualified coaches, just find some local racing paddlers and get them and/or their coaches to help (some of them will be BCU qualified, but the BCU stuff does not go as deep into it as racing people). Anyone involved in sea kayak, surf ski, wild water, sprint or marathon racing will be able to help.

Backwater

Post by Backwater » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:12 pm

If you have an hour and 13 minutes to spare you could watch Ivan Lawlers' Racing Kayak Masterclass http://richmondcanoeclub.com/members/kayak-technique/
Hope it's ok to make that link.
Plenty of food for thought. "Canoeing (kayaking) is not an arm sport".

adventureagent

Post by adventureagent » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:55 am

Backwater:

Good one ! I just saw the start, and I'll review it often. Thanks.

Jim

Post by Jim » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:24 am

Watching Ivan's video is really useful, but don't forget to have someone watch you to keep you right on the water.
See how most of the pupils fail to replicate what Ivan has showed them at first try and need further input to get there.

Rainshine

Post by Rainshine » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:43 pm

Can I also say that as someone who has done multiple full day clinics with Ivan on forward paddling, you simply can't learn what he coaches and teaches from that video. It was never intended to replace his coaching and it doesn't. Its very useful as a reminder and aide memoire for anyone who has already had a decent amount of coaching from Ivan himself but it doesn't replicate having him work with you one-to-one. And in my experience its virtually impossible for anyone to replicate what Ivan shows you even after a huge amount of his input!!

Its not as simple as it looks and given Ivan's expertise and experience, he is able to make it look absolutely effortless.

Backwater

Post by Backwater » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:12 pm

Oh well. There's no substitute for experience. I learned a bit from it though and my point, to tie it back in to the original post, was perhaps that good technique could be as important as whatever paddle to avoid doing damage to yourself.
Instruction and feedback are important for good learning, but I've found different instructors can tell you different (sometimes directly opposite) things! It's a journey.

john.ruston

Post by john.ruston » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:42 pm

To Greg; back in the day Lendal used to offer paddle shafts in a range of stiffness. I'm still regularly using an old Scottish made item Lendal graded F for stiffness. Now I can't remember what the system was then but the choice was right at the time and still works well. Touch wood still no aches 'n pains after all these years. Anyone remember how the grading worked ??

adventureagent

Post by adventureagent » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:31 am

Backwater:

Thanks so much for the information-filled video link from the Ricmond Canoe Club. It can only help my technique. Too bad the snow is already falling in parts of Canada. Still, I have several weeks of on-water time.

Ken_T

Post by Ken_T » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:40 am

I would recommend coaching, in my experience technique is even more important than choice of paddle for comfortable pain free paddling.
Ken

Jim

Post by Jim » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:05 pm

john.ruston wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:42 pm
To Greg; back in the day Lendal used to offer paddle shafts in a range of stiffness. I'm still regularly using an old Scottish made item Lendal graded F for stiffness. Now I can't remember what the system was then but the choice was right at the time and still works well. Touch wood still no aches 'n pains after all these years. Anyone remember how the grading worked ??
As I recall the gradings were in order of stiffness EG, (Economy glass), HPS (High performance, carbon/kevlar for best breaking strength), EC (Economy carbon), G2F (flexible carbon), G1F (stiff carbon). Essentially for EC and GXF the ratio of glass to carbon was varied to achieve different cost and stiffness. I still mostly use G1F shafts, although I do now have paddles from other manufacturers. The only problem was that the range of options seemd to confuse the average touring paddler.

john.ruston

Post by john.ruston » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:41 pm

Thank You Jim.

john.ruston

Post by john.ruston » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:14 pm

Apologies for drifting off OP's topic. Re: Shaft Stiffness, Just had a nice message from Lendal USA to say that despite best efforts they can find no records of a grading system. Maybe they never had complete documentation. I've sent their kind spokesperson Julian, a link to this thread. J.