P&H Scorpio HV - anyone tried it out?

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
LardPaddler

P&H Scorpio HV - anyone tried it out?

Post by LardPaddler » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:48 pm

Hello all,

I am a fairly heavy paddler ( 190cm/115kg - guess that is about 6 foot 2 or 3 and 18 stone or so). Losing weight has always been a struggle, but slowly I've managed to shed 15 kg the last year. I hate to train so a friend suggested sea kayakaing, and I really like it!

So far I've paddled the Current Design Storm and the Perception Essence 17. I prefer to paddle the Perception, but the cockpit is better in the CD for me. However, I tried out the P&H Scorpio HV in a shop the other day, and it felt much more comfortable than either of the two above. I could not properly fit into the Valley Etain, it felt too snug.

However, there is very little information on the Scorpio HV, on the MV and LV there is more information to find. has anyone in here tried out the Scorpio HV? Unfortunately I cannot try it on the water before I buy here in Norway, so it is a bit hit and miss in that regard. It is mainly the width that worries me. I find the CD Storm to be a bit of a barge, and I am concerned the Scorpio HV could be similar. I am at the upper weight limit for the Scorpio MV.

I'd be grateful if anyone could shed some light on the matter, I've been fortunate that P&H has given me good information, but it is always nice to hear from other people as well.

Mike A

Re: P&H Scorpio HV - anyone tried it out?

Post by Mike A » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:20 pm

Have a look in the sea kayak geare section. There is a discussion on this very boat.

Fozzy

Post by Fozzy » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:29 pm

Here it is

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=127128

It's also worth reading the Ocean Paddler review by Douglas Wilcox. Always excellent reviews whether you like the boat being tested or not.

LardPaddler

Post by LardPaddler » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:38 pm

Fozzy wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:29 pm
Here it is

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=127128

It's also worth reading the Ocean Paddler review by Douglas Wilcox. Always excellent reviews whether you like the boat being tested or not.
Thank you kindly, both of you. Not sure the Wilcox review, which I have read, is relevant to the HV version? I am concerned the HV will be too wide and be a bit of a barge. At the same time, perhaps I am too heavy for the MV?

I really liked the comfort of the seat though.

Fozzy

Post by Fozzy » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:00 pm

Douglas has done reviews of both the MV and the HV, both very positive

LardPaddler

Post by LardPaddler » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:25 pm

Fozzy wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:00 pm
Douglas has done reviews of both the MV and the HV, both very positive
Somehow I just find the MV review, could I bother you for the link to the HV if you please?

Fozzy

Post by Fozzy » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:38 pm

I couldn't find the link either. I had it in a printed copy of the magazine, which I've since disposed of. If you contact Richard Parkin at OP they do digital back issues quite cheaply or try contacting Douglas either on here memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=737 or via his blog.

LardPaddler

Post by LardPaddler » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:49 pm

Fozzy wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:38 pm
I couldn't find the link either. I had it in a printed copy of the magazine, which I've since disposed of. If you contact Richard Parkin at OP they do digital back issues quite cheaply or try contacting Douglas either on here memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=737 or via his blog.
Thank you!

Fozzy

Post by Fozzy » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:42 pm

Sent you PM re OP review

openeyes

Post by openeyes » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:35 pm

I paddle the first version before they offered diff volumes, Mine is a standard Scorpio I fit it ok 6'1" and 18 stone