Really bright torch

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Grian

Really bright torch

Post by Grian » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:10 am

Its a little off topic but when camping alone I've wondered how I'd respond if someone came wandering around. Once I'm actually somewhere remote and in my blendy-in tent its not such a concern, more so when parked up in my van which I realise might understandably attract someone as innocent as a local checking I'm not up to no good. I thought a super-bright torch would be useful so I could see who was about and they would be temporarily dazzled but no harm done. Can anyone suggest something suitably illuminating that isn't too big? No roof mounted keeper-style spotlights thanks as that would add to the poacher styling the vehicle is already rocking, with its peeled off decals and tinted back windows!

Do others, especially females, have a plan as to what they'd do if they heard someone approaching their tent/vehicle? All a bit OTT I know, but the nights are drawing in and it reminded me of an uneasy evening back in March!

john.ruston

Re: Really bright torch

Post by john.ruston » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:52 am

There's some reasonably priced 'divers' torches out there which are mini floodlights. A pal found a scorcher for about £15. Will ask him where he got it and post you back.J.

MaverickvRS

Post by MaverickvRS » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:41 pm

Grian

Post by Grian » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:48 pm

That should do it! :D

Thanks re divers torch, waterproof is always a bonus!

adventureagent

Post by adventureagent » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:14 pm

"no harm done" is something worthy of more thought. Some manufacturers caution the user not to shine their light into the eyes of another person; apparently it can be harmful. Maybe that's what you want.

I'm baffled by the number of items one purchases, for outdoor equipment, which are black. Such is the light I bought. In the darkness of a vehicle, such things are hard to find.

I purchased a 13 cm long flashlight (torch, if you will). It was expensive, but nice. It fits nicely into a b.a. pocket, or any small sized equipment bag. It has a tether with it. It does not focus, but has 1000 lumens max. That makes it light up the night very well. It's a white light output, so you can perceive colour quite well. I often use it to see if bears are at our waste bin at night. The other night it was just a doe and fawn. The torch has a brilliant flash mode that blinks extremely rapidly. It has an s.o.s. mode.

If you're not inclined to lose things, and/or if you want a light for your pocket, purse, or pack, this water resistant flashlight might be the thing. One caution: it takes a special, long-life battery pair. Buy spares in advance. I'm not saying it will burn them quickly, just that best practise would be to have them on hand. Such are not found in your auto shop or drug store.

It's also sized right to fit into the hand such that it would make a striking instrument, should the need arise. The strobe, however, would likely give you time to evade. Holding the light away from you would give an illusion as to your location, as well.

It's difficult to find the flush-mount switch. There is a mode to lock it against accidental use, which might drain the batteries. My bike light has similar, but this one is just tricky to use. All in all, it outshines my big old Maglight of yesteryear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqaUAB89aZg

http://fenixlight.com/ProductSeries.aspx?key=e35ue
CELEBRATE LIFE: PADDLE by ALL MEANS !

adventureagent

Post by adventureagent » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:17 pm

Grian

Post by Grian » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:51 pm

Thats a neat torch, and perhaps a luminous marker could highlight where the switch is - and the torch/flashlight itself. Good thinking re the strobe. Thank you.

I take your point regarding harm done.

Bears... thats something to keep a person awake!
Last edited by Grian on Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PlymouthDamo

Post by PlymouthDamo » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:57 pm

Being male, I'm less likely to be a target, but I have had one genuinely scary camping moment. I was wild camping on Dartmoor, close to a quarry edge, when around midnight I heard the loud voices of a group of young men approaching. Then the bangs started - sounded like one or more shotguns. With the loud laughter, it was clear they weren't hunting. I was sufficiently alarmed to make a sharp exit. I snuck away from my tent, which they were fast approaching, and off behind some rocks where I could hide/observe. In the end, it turns out they were a bunch of lads having a laugh with thunderflashes - not a bunch of in-breds searching for incomers to shoot. Perhaps I've watched too many horror films.

The reason I mention this is that I wouldn't have turned on a bright torch as that would have drawn attention. There was enough moonlight to avoid the quarry edge and navigate to the rocks. Thanks to them using their headtorches, their night vision was destroyed, so could only see a small area in front of them and they were never going to spot me. If you're thinking of personal safety kit, a blinding light may have its use, but I'd also consider bringing a less conspicuous alternative. I've got a blindingly powerful headtorch, but it has several modes including 'firefly', which is a battery-saving dull glow that is just enough to do close-in chores, but is barely visible from afar. https://www.amazon.co.uk/ThruNite-TH10- ... B01MAXQ2VU (It is waterproof, but I've found it suffers from galvanic corrosion from exposure to seawater - could limit the lifespan.)

All that said, I would never deliberately prepare for this kind of encounter. If I thought it was a possibility, I wouldn't be going.

Grian

Post by Grian » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:27 pm

When I say super-bright, I don't mean one I can cook or melt plastic with - the emphasis is on no harm done. My current camp lights are of the shine light softly variety, so would reveal more about me than them! A police torch type of thing is what I envisage (never having seen a police torch, but surely they strike the perfect balance between seeing all and not actually blinding people). I'm looking to dazzle in the sense of when your partner is wearing a head torch and keeps looking at you while your both putting the tent up.

The possibility of someone moving around outside a vehicle parked up is pretty high, rural crime is rife and dead deer and farm equipment are often carried off in a van... and such a van would be discretely parked! The approaching person could quite easily be a dog walker, concerned local resident or other benign entity. Being able to see them clearly and less so vice versa would be reassuring.

An intruder with ill-intent is unlikely, but I would sleep more soundly knowing I knew what I would do. Perhaps urban myth but I've heard tell having a plan is what makes the difference.

Sneaking out of a vehicle is tricky, I did consider that PlymouthD, but all the doors are noisy.

Like the sound of the firefly very much.

T4Mac

Post by T4Mac » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:35 pm

If you have ever tried shining a bright torch from inside a van it'll blind you more than the snoopers. More effective is to press the test button on your CO2 detector. The pikeys snooping around my van in France didn't like that noise at all (they thought they had set the alarm off) :-) Could also use one in a tent.

adventureagent

Post by adventureagent » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:40 am

I mentioned the Maglite. That was the flashlight the Provincial Police used for years. They even used to pitch them at fleeing cars. Nasty for that, and nasty to be struck with. Had a great beam in its day.

The Fenix E35 Ultimate E light, on low, is just a nice light for walking 'round camp, looking for something in a pack. I sometimes use the brighter modes to look for my dog, and the wide pan, white light, and brightness is super for the task. The size is super convenient. Thanks for the glow suggestion. I had thought of it, but ...
The 1000 lumens is generally over the top, but the lower levels are great. I find the size is just about perfect. It's got good power to weight ratio. It's IPX 8 water rated. Super for stashing in a pocket, pfd, glove box, tool box. Fenix makes a much smaller unit for you to lose - I mean use too.

That's the last of my praise for this little wonder I found in a Military supply store near the Kingston base in Ontario.

Grian

Post by Grian » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:12 am

I was planning to throw the door open before shining the torch :D but that itself is probably not a good strategy - clearly I'm that person who wanders around the house after a power cut saying 'is there anybody there?'

Activating the CO2 detector is an excellent idea - it would be like the Knight Rider car - maybe I could install some LED strip lighting under the bonnet too...!!

Also - scaring myself in the process just thinking about this - I thought if it was clear there was a problem I could set off my PLB, in areas where there is no mobile reception.

I have identified a suitable flashtorch, thank you for recommendations, and all that remains before my next trip is to watch some scary movies!

Ian_Montrose

Post by Ian_Montrose » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:47 am

Bit of a shits and giggles suggestion but what about an audio track of a barking and snarling dog on your phone? Play it full volume and simultaneously bang the sides of the van and any chancing rogue will think you've got a psychotic rottweiler guarding you.

Grian

Post by Grian » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:04 am

A cunning plan, and a gadget for this purpose https://www.amazon.co.uk/Electronic-Int ... B0051EAFOG

Good thinking!