Hull repair advice, Nordkapp LV

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
ssmith

Hull repair advice, Nordkapp LV

Post by ssmith » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:58 pm

Hi

My Nordkapp LV seat broke. On removal, which was not difficult despite warnings to contrary and that it might require to be partially melted first, I found a fingertip sized and shaped depression in the hull where some grit had been ground down into it from the pressure of my backside on the seat. I guess it is perhaps gone about 50% through the hull. Of note, there is corresponding 'micro fracturing' of the gelcoat over this exact area which makes me think this is a significant defect that I need to fix.

I have absolutely zero experience of repairs to fibreglass. Would be very grateful for advise on best way to fix this. Also, as I have yet to put the new seat in, what adhesive is needed to fix closed cell foam to the hull?

Regards

Stuart

Chris Bolton

Re: Hull repair advice, Nordkapp LV

Post by Chris Bolton » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:38 pm

There's a lot of advice on repairs (including fibreglass) on the Almanac section of this site. The problem you describe is quite common. I would wash it thoroughly, sandpaper the depression and 3cm around it, then fill the depression with resin and glass fibres - cut the glass fibre in to very short bits first - about 1cm long - and stipple them into the resin. It doesn't matter if you get resin around the sides as the next thing is to coat the 3cm area around it with resin and lay in some glass fibre matting. I would use epoxy resin as it sticks better but polyester is less tricky to work with and will work. If you've repaired the inside like that, the gelcoat cracks on the outside can be treated as cosmetic. If you really want to repair them there is advice on various forum threads.

Fixing foam to the hull can be done with contact adhesive (eg, Evostik) - coat the surfaces, let it dry for a couple of days then recoat, leave for the short time in the instructions and fix. Resin can also be used, but you need to hold the foam in place while it sets.

Chris Bolton

Re: Hull repair advice, Nordkapp LV

Post by Chris Bolton » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:05 pm

Stuart, I've replied to your PM, but I see it's still in my Outbox, which mean you haven't seen it. PM's can be a bit strange sometimes!