Change to MSI broadcast channels

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
ian johnston

Change to MSI broadcast channels

Post by ian johnston » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:13 pm

Hi All,

Those of you who are out and about regularly will no doubt be aware of this as it's being announced on each MSI broadcast at the moment - the channels on which MSI broadcasts are transmitted are changing from the current 23,23 or 86. From the MCA website:

"From Wednesday 6 September 2017 HM Coastguard will be using new channels to broadcast Maritime Safety Information (MSI) and conduct radio medical advice.

The new channels will be VHF 62, 63 and 64. The use of VHF Channel 10 for MSI and pollution control (back up) is unchanged"

I'm in the process of updating my crib sheets!

MCA Leaflet MCA/064 which details MSI information (including a rather useful antenna listing) at https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... t_2015.pdf is yet to be updated.

One change I'm really not a fan of is the introduction of an automated voice announcement on VHF #16 rather than the CG Watch Officer announcing the broadcast...sounds just what it is - robotic.

Kind Regards

Ian

Jim

Re: Change to MSI broadcast channels

Post by Jim » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:49 pm

To be honest with you, I just switch to whichever channel the first announcement on 16 specifies (often it turns out not to be the strongest one, but hey ho) rather than remembering what they are. I presume the announcement will continue to state which channel to tune to?

ian johnston

Post by ian johnston » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:37 pm

Hi Jim,

I usually do the same, but knowing what channel will be used I've found helpful. Being a Comms geek (and doing it for a living!) I've marked the antenna sites on my maps and mapping software so that I can have a pretty good idea which antenna is likely to be the closest in a visible line, and therefore which channel should work best.

On a solo paddle when I'm not using my VHF on an intra group channel, I can then dual watch it onto the relevant MSI channel

As far as I can tell, the robotic announcement will state the choice of channels - it's doing that with the current channels

:-)

Ian

Jim

Post by Jim » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:53 pm

Cool,
I don't think I have the time for that level of preparedness any more, I'm lucky if I remember to even charge my radio in advance!