Fitting a pressurised hydration bladders

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
jb2_86_uk

Fitting a pressurised hydration bladders

Post by jb2_86_uk » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:33 pm

I recently bought my first kayak, a plastic Riot Enduro 13 tourer. I am loving the boat and every minute I am not out paddling, I am thinking about when I next will be! So far the biggest issue I have is there is no bottle-holder! There is a small bungee pocket inside the cockpit above the foot pegs, but it’s not tight enough to hold a bottle secure if (when) I capsize (I’m still learning to roll, so capsize = wet exit, for now). Then there’s the bungee webbing on the front deck. But this irritates my OCD. I thought about installing a bottle holder somewhere in the cockpit, but then this is inaccessible without removing the spray skirt.

I’ve had an idea, to use a pressurised Geiger 3L hydration bladder, somehow secured to the bulkhead behind the seat (maybe a custom neoprene or insulated Velcro pocket or something) and then customise a spare drain plug (conveniently on this model there is one inside the cockpit next to the bulkhead) as a way of getting the tube out of the cockpit without drilling my kayak. After that it’s just a case of finding a nice route for the tube, but that’s really not a concern at this stage!

Does this sound like a reasonable idea? Does anyone have any advice or suggestions from similar projects?

(If anyone has experience of the Geiger pressurised bladders, can they give me an idea of typically how much can be drank before re-pressurisation is required? My plan involves leaving the pressurisation bulb under the spray skirt, so if it needs a squeeze or two between sips, then this is a completely pointless exercise, I might as well find somewhere to stick a £2 cycling bottle cage!)

Thanks in advance!
JB

twopigs

Re: Fitting a pressurised hydration bladders

Post by twopigs » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:49 pm

Obviously the tube from the bladder is going have to be attached to the boat between drinks otherwise exiting will give you a little grief. How about a BA with a hydration bladder in the back pocket? I'd only go for a litre of fluid at most and then top up otherwise it becomes uncomfortable.
Canoeing - bigger boat, broken paddle, more skill!

jb2_86_uk

Post by jb2_86_uk » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:20 pm

Cheers twopigs, I'm not a fan of 'wearing' hydration bladders from my cycling days, and being somewhat unfit currently, anything I can do to shift bulk & weight from my body and into the boat, I'm all for! Plus I love a DIY project especially if it involves making something uniquely mine. (side note: I can't stand loose wires in my car - did I mention my OCD? - so I completely stripped down my interior to route & hide wires for my dash-cam, phone charger & hands-free microphone!).

My idea is that the drinks tube would be run around the cockpit rim and tucked under the front deck bungee, rather than attached to my shoulder, so as long as that's possible with the length of tubing I get, that wouldn't impede on exiting the kayak I don't think

Spikeedog

Post by Spikeedog » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:42 pm

If you have a day hatch you could put the bladder in there and route the tube through the cover with a rubber seal to prevent water entry.

jb2_86_uk

Post by jb2_86_uk » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:32 am

No day hatch on this particular model I'm afraid :-( But thanks for the suggestion!

jet

Post by jet » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:50 pm

I was thinking more of fitting one of these:
https://www.pub-paraphernalia.com/beer-pump-handle.html

nigelhatton

Post by nigelhatton » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:17 pm

Just an idea!
When I paddle distances I put a collapsible 2.5 litre water carrier between my footrests against the bulkhead with a plastic tube coming from the carrier up to my mouth. I just push the water carrier with my foot and water is forced into my mouth. I don't have to stop paddling and I don't have to briefly stop breathing whilst drinking.

jb2_86_uk

Post by jb2_86_uk » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:33 am

I love the idea Jet, but I think that pump handle hiding under the spray deck might give the wrong impression!!! I'm also close to the weight capacity of my boat as it is, a beer keg would certainly turn me into a submariner!

Nigel that's pretty much the concept I was going for, only using the inflated bladder for pressurisation rather than stamping on the bottle. I'm actually not sure I'd be able to reach the front bulkhead with my feet either!

I finished working on my system last night (as planned out in the first post) with the completion of a neoprene pocket to hold the bladder. I'm going to put it all together tonight and give it a test drive (drink!) before I head out for a paddle tomorrow. It has pretty much gone to plan so far, I decided to use the frame for the backrest to hold the bladder (like a rucksack), instead of trying to fix it to the foam bulkhead or plastic hull. The up-shot of this is that the entire system can be removed without leaving a trace, or risk damaging anything trying to find a way to secure it.

Photos to follow this evening!