Tandem tracking

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
JohnGreenview

Tandem tracking

Post by JohnGreenview » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:10 pm

I recently bought a Tahe Mini tandem. There is much I like about it, however, I am dismayed at how difficult it is to track without the rudder. Has any other Tahe Mini owner the same problem? Is this a common feature in tandems? Certainly the Tahe Mini is wide and flat bottomed but even in flat windless waters it seemed to be ready to drift to one side or the other.

If you own a Tahe Mini, any further comments on your general experience would be appreciated.

Aled

Re: Tandem tracking

Post by Aled » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:02 am

I'm not familiar with this boat in particular, but as a principle, boats that are designed to have rudders generally need to have their rudders active most of the time.

Jim

Post by Jim » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:25 pm

+1
If your car was designed to have an anti-roll bar in the suspension you wouldn't expect it to handle properly (safely even) if you were to drive around with it removed...

swagstaff

Post by swagstaff » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:00 pm

We have one and it tracks fine with the rudder. Your right not very good without so always use the rudder.
WHITEWATER ALL YEAR LONG

ian the badger

Post by ian the badger » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:01 am

We have one, and love it. I always use the rudder, why wouldn't I? All the double sea kayaks I have paddled really do need a rudder, some of the longer ones become almost unmanageable without one.

JohnGreenview

Post by JohnGreenview » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:29 pm

Many thanks for responses. Reassuring. It's not just our incompetence.

nickcrowhurst

Post by nickcrowhurst » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:12 am

I agree completely about using the rudder with tandems. All the ones I've paddled (for many expeditions) are hopeless without the rudders - like paddling a bar of soap. However, it does rather muddy the water for beginners when the Ocean Paddler test paddle video for the Mini shows the rudder retracted throughout all the maneuvers, but doesn't show it being paddled in a straight line for any distance. Strange.
Nick.

nickcrowhurst

Video link

Post by nickcrowhurst » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:06 pm

JohnGreenview

Post by JohnGreenview » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:31 am

Indeed.

Kevin Cooper

Post by Kevin Cooper » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:29 pm

I have a Triton tandem and spent a week on the outer Hebrides last month with my non kayaking daughter in the front seat. No rudder.

Had no issues with the boat tracking, it was hard turning into wind of force 4 gusting 5 but we didn't have the trim right at the start of the week and were riding bow high.

For me the boat felt and behaved much the same as my Romany, just much longer!!

Not sure if this helps but didn't find the lack of a rudder an issue at all.

Ken_T

Post by Ken_T » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:01 am

Hi,
Most tandem sea kayaks are designed to have a rudder, so if the rudder is up the centre of lateral resistance is forward of the centre of mass (if 'normally' loaded), causing the boat to be directionally unstable, the centre of lateral resistance moves back when the rudder is deployed. If this was not done it would be difficult to go up wind with the rudder deployed (although with the 3 tandems I own (Prijon Oddessey, Rainbow Atlantis, Valley Aleut) in strong winds I have the rudder up for going upwind. The NDK Triton is designed as a skeg boat & does not need a rudder.
Ken

asmar

Post by asmar » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:34 am

The real problem that you will encounter soon or later with the Tahe mini tandem is the small blade of the rudder which in waves perform really poor. I've replaced mine in one that I had for a few years and then it was like a different boat in stearing.

Without it as the others said is difficult to keep it in a straight line.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

nickcrowhurst

Post by nickcrowhurst » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:01 pm

I agree with Asmar. It is very alarming when on the crest of a wave to discover that you have no steering control from the rudder because it is raised out of the water. I changed our regular tandem to a SmartTrack foil blade (the longer of the two options) and rudder control when surfing was much enhanced.
http://www.smart-tracker.com/foilblade.htm
Nick.

asmar

Post by asmar » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:16 pm

Nick, how bigger is the foil blade from the original as in the picture can't see big difference

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

nickcrowhurst

Post by nickcrowhurst » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:43 pm

Asmar, the SmartTrack tandem blade is 16.5" (42 mm) long, : http://www.austinkayak.com/products/137 ... Blade.html
I just changed the blade on one of my tandems. It is a great improvement. You will note that the single kayak version is 13.5"
Nick.

JohnGreenview

Post by JohnGreenview » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:58 pm

I believe my boat already has the smart track system. However I noticed that the Trim tab that is mentioned on the smart track web page is not part of my system. Not quite sure why.

http://www.smart-tracker.com/trimtab.htm

Mac50L

Post by Mac50L » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:40 am

JohnGreenview wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:58 pm
I believe my boat already has the smart track system. However I noticed that the Trim tab that is mentioned on the smart track web page is not part of my system. Not quite sure why.

http://www.smart-tracker.com/trimtab.htm
SmartTrack are joking aren't they? The only reason they might suggest that (trim tab) is because they have a really bad foot pedal system. OK, they have, only toe foot support, not whole-foot support.

Also the vertical blade stow system I replaced decades ago as vertical stow is prone to damage if landing in surf. I originally used the vertical-stow design (~1985) because it was very quick and cheap to do while sorting out something a bit more "professional".

To do cheaply, a pin, a slotted bit of plastic (~1" thick), a blade and a bolt. About the minimum number of parts possible.