Map Case recommondations?

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Kirsten

Map Case recommondations?

Post by Kirsten » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:35 pm

Hi

I just damaged my second Ortlieb Map Case this week. Same issue as the first one. When opening the velcro it ripped the plastic at the side. Ok, I was rushing a bit this time, but the same happened with the first and with it I was careful.

I have not the option to print out maps and to laminate them, so I need a map case. Normally I use OS maps, so the map case should be fine with this format without having an awkward folding of the map. I had another map case after I damaged my first Ortlieb, but the measurement was not fine for the maps and needed awkward folding and it was leaking, too.

Anyone with recommondations for a map case? Need something which can be attached easily on the decklines and where an OS map can get in and out without stressing the map case.

rknott

Re: Map Case recommondations?

Post by rknott » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:20 pm

Axel pack map case. Tough, versatile, takes up to A3 and probably could double as a sail or storm shelter...

Sea Kayaking Cornwall sell it
https://www.seakayakingcornwall.com/product/map-case/

dhkayaking

Post by dhkayaking » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:33 pm

Axel pack is the only one I use and trust.

rockhopper

Post by rockhopper » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:16 pm

Another vote for Axel's map case. Simple and effective.

Rog.

Allan Olesen

Post by Allan Olesen » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:02 pm

To those using the Axel map case: How do you orientate it on the deck? Carabiners forward, backward or to the side? And to which bungees do you attach the carabiners.

I have one too, but I haven't really found a good placement for it on the kayak. Too bad, because it is obviously much better quality than the other cases I have used.

rockhopper

Post by rockhopper » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:43 pm

I have a spray deck with map loops so attach the clips to the forward most ones of those (other way around and it will flick up if a wave washes over the deck).

Rog.

tape34

Post by tape34 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:00 pm

I'm surprised to hear that your map case has split, my Ortlieb A3 document holder is still going after at least seven years, totally waterproof, just sits under the deck elastics.

Pete

Kirsten

Post by Kirsten » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:38 pm

Where you open the case, the Velco is so tight, it ripped when I hadn't the fingers in the exact position and this happened to me twice now :O Not sure whether it is an A3. I think it is the smaller of the two sizes Ortlieb is having, when I have an OS Map, then it is the double of the with from a complete folded map.

Jim

Post by Jim » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:28 pm

Try Sealline HP map case, similar design to Ortileb but I have never found the velcro too tight to cause it to rip. I think the regular (not HP) map case has issues so make sure you are looking at the HP one.
http://www.summittosea.co.uk/sealline-hp-map-case.ir

PeterG

Post by PeterG » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:44 pm

Aqua 3 maps survive at least 3 weeks under the deck elastics (probably much longer if allowed to dry out from time to time) and can be centred on anywhere or even in strip format. A good choice for a paddling holiday OS map. They can be marked up with a fine permanent marker or a 4B pencil works for temporary notes.

rowlandW

Post by rowlandW » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:48 pm

To Kirsten - Axel pack, unreservedly.

To Allan - modify the Axel pack by taking off the clips and putting about 9 inches of cord between the end of the tube and the clip. The clips go 'forward'. Then modify your deck rigging by rethreading the decklines in the 'chart deck' area, leaving out the 'second' RDF. This gives a free-standing section of deckline to which you now clip the clips. When you need to use the map/chart, pull the case onto the spraydeck (at the extent of the cords); when you want to stow it, push it forward to the other 'extent of the cords' where it will sit under the foredeck bungees and be out of the way.

pm me if you want me to take a couple of pictures of the set-up.

Rowland

Roy Vernon

Post by Roy Vernon » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:16 pm

PeterG wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:44 pm
Aqua 3 maps survive at least 3 weeks under the deck elastics (probably much longer if allowed to dry out from time to time) and can be centred on anywhere or even in strip format. A good choice for a paddling holiday OS map. They can be marked up with a fine permanent marker or a 4B pencil works for temporary notes.
Very nice. I will be getting one of those.

RickC

Post by RickC » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:38 am

Axel's map case is excellent and durable. I've used one since 2010 without problem. Also very good is the one from Whetman Equipment. It's had a full year's use by me and doesn't leak, despite numerous consecutive days of full immersion and little maintenance. It's closure system is very simple and despite my initial reservation has proved bombproof so far.

Top tip for any map case - a sachet of silica gel (often used in packaging for electrical goods) inside the case reduces condensation.

Cheers, Rick