Sorry, more questions from a newbie !

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
scubacrazy123

Sorry, more questions from a newbie !

Post by scubacrazy123 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:14 am

Hi all.
Just joined this forum, and it looks like a great resource for all things kayak related !

OK, so here's my story.
I'm moving ( semi retiring) down to Cornwall within the next 6-12 months.
I'm buying a house in Hayle, which is also where I will be for a couple of weeks starting from the 22nd July.
I want to take up kayaking, specifically sea kayaking, and I'm after some advice from anyone who knows the area if possible.

Firstly, before I rush out and buy totally the wrong gear/equipment/etc, I want to do a course, or at least have a session or 2 with someone who knows what they are doing.
Does anyone know of such a thing in Hayle? ( I found a course in Falmouth, but no dates available for the time of my visit.)

Secondly, are there any clubs etc in Hayle (or Penzance, or wherever?) or somewhere local to hire?

I am a 56 year old male, 6 feet tall, around 16 stone, and fairly fit and healthy (if that helps !)

Grateful for any advice given. I have an idea about buying a Perception Triumph 13 as my first craft, but that may well change after any advice received !

Sorry for the long post, but thanks for reading it.

Cheers.
Gary.

nigelhatton

Re: Sorry, more questions from a newbie !

Post by nigelhatton » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:09 am

http://www.haylecanoeclub.co.uk
Buy something longer than the perception triumph.

rockhopper

Post by rockhopper » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:27 am

Presume the company you have looked at is Sea Kayaking Cornwall (who would be my first choice) however if they are booked up you could try these :
http://www.arvorseakayakingcornwall.co.uk/
They operate just west of Falmouth and appear to have the option of sit in or sit on kayaks which would give you a chance to try both..

If you were looking at getting a sit on kayak then actually, the Triumph is a pretty good choice. For a sit on kayak you wouldn't want anything much longer as it would be hugely unwieldy. The Triumph tracks and turns well so it is pretty fast and manouverable without being a bathtub.

Rog.

scubacrazy123

Post by scubacrazy123 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:45 am

Firstly, thanks for the replies.

@nigelhatton - Thanks for the link, I will get along to the club night whilst I'm down next. Why do you say buy something longer than the Perception Triumph?
To be honest, I don't know what I'll buy yet, whether a sit in or sit on, but that was a sit on top about which most people seem very positive. When I've had a go, and a bit of training, I'm sure my outlook will change.

@rockhopper - Thanks for the link. email sent to them too.

nigelhatton

Post by nigelhatton » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:22 pm

These are my thoughts.
I had always been a flat water k1 marathon paddler but took up sea kayaking in 2003.
My first sea boat was a perception Acadia 13' but I wanted to cover more distance and do it quicker so I traded up for a perception Carolina 15. After some months I wanted to cover the same distance without the fatigue so I got a 17' fibreglass touring kayak. Each kayak becoming slightly longer and narrower, in 2005 I got a valley rapier 20' semi sea racing kayak. Each kayak took time to get used to especially the less stability with a more narrow kayak.

So my point is if you want to paddle on the sea please join Hayle canoe club and do some training. Do buy a faster touring kayak than a moped of the sea. The triumph kayak will be stable and fun for some time but when you're out on a club night you'll be struggling to keep up.
First of all join the club and get some training, BCU level 2 for starters.
Say hello to Richard Sims for me while your there.

scubacrazy123

Post by scubacrazy123 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:15 pm

nigelhatton wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:22 pm
These are my thoughts.
I had always been a flat water k1 marathon paddler but took up sea kayaking in 2003.
My first sea boat was a perception Acadia 13' but I wanted to cover more distance and do it quicker so I traded up for a perception Carolina 15. After some months I wanted to cover the same distance without the fatigue so I got a 17' fibreglass touring kayak. Each kayak becoming slightly longer and narrower, in 2005 I got a valley rapier 20' semi sea racing kayak. Each kayak took time to get used to especially the less stability with a more narrow kayak.

So my point is if you want to paddle on the sea please join Hayle canoe club and do some training. Do buy a faster touring kayak than a moped of the sea. The triumph kayak will be stable and fun for some time but when you're out on a club night you'll be struggling to keep up.
First of all join the club and get some training, BCU level 2 for starters.
Say hello to Richard Sims for me while your there.
Thanks for taking the time to give such a comprehensive answer, it's appreciated.
I will definitely be joining the Hayle club when we move down.
I agree with you when you say get a faster touring kayak rather than a moped of the sea.
Without any experience of either, it's impossible for me to make a call on that one yet. (Although advice given by experienced people helps a huge amount !)
Only when I try a few different boats will I know which one will suit me better.
I do like the look of the longer sit inside kayaks, but will resist rushing out and buying the first kayak I see, until I have , as you say, had some training, and tried as many different options as I can.

rockhopper

Post by rockhopper » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:53 am

Can I just say, you don't necessarily want/need to get a fast touring boat or, at least, that shouldn't be a priority. Nigel speaks as someone who does the fast touring stuff but that isn't what lights everybody's candle about sea kayaking. Fine, if you want to kayak mostly for exercise or like the competitiveness of that type of paddling however there are many other aspects of sea paddling that do not necessarily lend themselves to that type of boat.
If you just want to explore the coastline a bit, maybe learn to surf some waves or play in tidal features, go on multi-day trips.... then other boats will suit your purpose better and be a more 'rounded' choice.
Longer does not mean better....it tends to mean faster but that can mean you just paddle past interesting stuff without noticing it. Some of the best (most fun) kayaks I have paddled have been shorter playful ones like the Aries. A good blend of boat that will paddle straight at a reasonable speed, play in waves, be manoeuvrable, comfortable and with high stability. In addition think about the logistics of boat size. The bigger the boat the bigger the required area for storage and the more cumbersome it is to get on and off your car and onto/off the water.
At the end of the day you need to find out what floats your boat (sorry about that!!) so keep an open mind and try different stuff. You are very likely to buy a boat and then, after a while decide you fancy something better/different/more challenging but that is the fun of it and, if you buy wisely in the first place you probably won't lose much when you re-sell.

Have fun looking and deciding.

Rog.

RickC

Post by RickC » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:06 am

Training options not mentioned so far are:

Lizard Adventure, run by J-P and Annette Eatock. They have a good team of people and J-P is one of the top sea kayaking coaches in the UK. They have good sea kayaks in their fleet. He's also a Hayle club member (lives in Hayle) and knows the area very well.

Paddlecrest Coaching, run by Richard Uren. Based in/near Penzance and another very good coach with a wealth of local knowledge. A member of Penzance Canoe Club.

I'd echo the previous posts regarding choice of kayak and suggest you pick the brains of these coaches before buying anything. Bear in mind the West Cornwall environment - it's a rocky coast with bumpy water, so this should influence your choice of sea kayak. Something playful will be fun but you still need a kayak that will be fast enough to cover some distance out and back from play spots. Don't be tempted by local "bargains" - get out in a few different kayaks with different coaches then be prepared to part with some proper money for a good kayak.

Cheers, Rick