Help wanted

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Muzzy

Help wanted

Post by Muzzy » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:14 pm

Evening all. In 3 weeks I'm kayaking round most of the Welsh coast as part of a team of 4 volunteers from marine conservation charity Sea Shepherd UK. I will mostly be using a Gearlab Greenland paddle as they have very generously given me a ex-demo. The problem I have is that my only other paddle is a one-piece and therefore I can't carry it as a spare. Does anyone have a cheap decent 210cm split, straight shaft paddle (r/h) that they would be willing to sell at a knock down price or even loan me to help the charity out? I'm in the Tewkesbury/Worcester/Gloucester area. www.freedompaddle.co.uk
Thanks all.

PlymouthDamo

Re: Help wanted

Post by PlymouthDamo » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:50 am

If you don't get any offers of a split paddle, you could also have a look around for a Greenland storm paddle. Mine are the same length as my back deck, so it's convenient to keep one stowed there under a couple of elastics. The advantage is that it's ready to grab and go. As you're already using a Greenland paddle, you'll find it fairly easy to pick up the technique of sliding it through your hands between each stroke.

One of mine is made out of pine, so a bit heavier than my usual cedar jobs, but perfectly good as a back-up. You're welcome to borrow it for as long as you want, but I'm down in Plymouth and haven't got any plans to be travelling up your way in the next 3 weeks. I do have a couple of trips to the Southampton and Bournemouth areas coming up, so if you or anyone else is doing a suitable trip, I'm happy to do a detour to hand it over.

Muzzy

Post by Muzzy » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:48 pm

Thanks Damo, I'll have a think about that. I've never used a storm paddle before. I will investigate! Thanks for the offer. I'll let you know.

dabpc

Post by dabpc » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:27 pm

pm me - I'm 15min from Bangor