Poole Harbour - east end of Sandbanks to Brownsea Island

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
PlymouthDamo

Poole Harbour - east end of Sandbanks to Brownsea Island

Post by PlymouthDamo » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:51 pm

I'm in Bournemouth next week and am thinking of putting into Poole Harbour at the easternmost shore and paddling due west to Brownsea Island. A few questions for anyone who knows the area:
  • If I park on the road on the North side of the eastern end of Sandbanks, can I walk my boat across the sand to the water if the tide is out? (I.e. is it sand, not mud?)
    I'm looking at Tue, Wed and Thur, probably launching around 6.30pm. The tide tables show this will be at the top of the second daily peak. Any problems with this? (I don't mind a slog.)
    Any landing restrictions on Brownsea island? Any recommendations for a good spot to land for a brief visit?
    Any suggestions for similarly simple trips starting from that area? (2 hours max.)
Cheers.

Mark R

Re: Poole Harbour - east end of Sandbanks to Brownsea Island

Post by Mark R » Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:08 pm

Yes.
No.
You're not supposed to land on Brownsea, but do it anyway.
Old Harry Rocks.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

PlymouthDamo

Re: Poole Harbour - east end of Sandbanks to Brownsea Island

Post by PlymouthDamo » Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:23 pm

Cheers Mark - that's all I needed to hear. No doubt I'll start with my conservative Plan A, but wander off piste according to conditions. Re. Old Harry Rocks: I've read about the strong tidal flow at the harbour mouth. If I kept, say, half a mile out to sea from it, would it be reasonable to cross in front of the harbour mouth at any state of tide?