Deck Size for Avocet LV

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Mark Gawler
Site Admin

Deck Size for Avocet LV

Post by Mark Gawler » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:53 pm

I am looking for a spray deck for a Avocet LV, the cockpit measures 460mm x 790mm.

Previous we had a Yak Deck Steal - Small Deck which fitted well, we replaced this with a Palm Sport R3 (small), which is a very very tight fit. On paper the Palm deck should be a good fit, but that is not our experience.

Dose anyone have and deck recommendations preferably from personal experience with an Avocet LV on a good fitting deck?
Mark Gawler

Douglas Wilcox

Re: Deck Size for Avocet LV

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:46 am

Hi Mark I can't comment about the Avocet LV specifically but I had the appropriate Palm deck for my Nordkapp LV and had a similar experience to you. I changed to the lighter Reed spray decks which I find easy to get on and off but have never imploded in surf. However, being a lighter material they are very easy to tear in rescue practice, if you get another boat's bow dragged across your cockpit rim. If I am planning anything like that, I go back to my Palm deck, which as you know is pretty robust!

Douglas

Ken_T

Post by Ken_T » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:03 pm

Hi Mark,
The dimensions you give are standard for Valley composite boats if you go for a Reed deck it is keyhole A.
Ken

PSK

Post by PSK » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:43 pm

Hi Mark

I can supply custom neoprene decks if you want. We should have a template for an Avocet, if not if you supply one you'll get a deck that fits your boat exactly. We can also supply customised printing on the deck etc.

I'm putting together an order now; as the decks are all individually manufactured it will take 4-6 weeks to have them made up.

http://www.performanceseakayak.co.uk/Pages/Kit/kit.php

http://www.performanceseakayak.co.uk/Co ... ntact.html

John Willacy

Mark Gawler
Site Admin

Post by Mark Gawler » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:07 pm

Thank you for the replies, I will look at the Reed spray decks I think lightweight will be fine for most paddles we do, my wife don't need to rescue me that often :-)

John, thanks for the offer of sorting out a custom deck, unfortunately the timescales are a bit too long.
Mark Gawler