Jackson Karma RG paddle recommendation

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
coldwind

Jackson Karma RG paddle recommendation

Post by coldwind » Mon May 29, 2017 2:47 pm

Can anyone recommend a paddle for use with the Karma RG, mainly to be used in and around the surf zone with maybe a mile or two paddling getting there. I currently use a Werner glass Corryvreckan bent shaft touring paddle but I'm not sure if it's up to being hammered in the surf. I've also tried my Werner Powerhouse but at 190cm, I think it's too short for any distance. The Karma comes in at just under 12 ft and it's 25 inches wide. Andy

Whitey1

Re: Jackson Karma RG paddle recommendation

Post by Whitey1 » Mon May 29, 2017 8:32 pm

Interesting question. Werner give quite a helpful guide where you can select your activity, height, quality of paddle material etc. Try it and see if it helps you get started. http://www.wernerpaddles.com/fit-guide/

coldwind

Post by coldwind » Mon May 29, 2017 11:34 pm

Whitey1, thanks for that. Tried the Werner fit guide and it came up with a Powerhouse, which I already have but they recommend a 200cm, mine is 190 cm. I don't fancy splashing out on another Werner paddle but at least I know what size I need.

rockhopper

Post by rockhopper » Tue May 30, 2017 10:26 am

I think many aspects of paddle choice are quite subjective, what suits one person may well not suit someone else of exactly the same build, size and kayak. Depends quite a lot on what you are used to. You could end up trying a 200cm paddle and find it too long for surfing but fine for the paddle out.
Maybe it is worth considering an adjustable 2 piece paddle so that you can use it short for surfing and extended for the journey.

Rog.

coldwind

Post by coldwind » Tue May 30, 2017 8:28 pm

Thanks Rog, that's worth considering. After looking at a few clips on YouTube today it seems that Greenland paddles are a popular choice in the surf with the Karma. I bought an Anglesey stick for sea kayaking back in Jan and so far have only used it for rolling sessions in the pool. Not sure what rolling in the surf with a stick will be like but it's worth a shot. Won't cost me anything to find out.

sidewayz

Post by sidewayz » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:28 pm

I use a Werner Double Diamond 197cm paddle with my RG and find it great. Takes a lot of battering in the rock garden also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coldwind

Post by coldwind » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:38 pm

Well I tried the Greenland Stick but I'm scared of damaging it so eventually settled on a 200 cm Palm Maverick.