Leaking hatches Tiderace explore hardcore

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
JMarkW

Leaking hatches Tiderace explore hardcore

Post by JMarkW » Mon May 22, 2017 11:30 am

UK Rivers collective wisdom,

My wife has a second hand (not particularly well looked after) Tiderace explore hardcore layup. ALL the hatches leak.

What I've tried so far:

Colour coded gelcoat bead around all the edge of the hatches and the deck. This looks good (?)
New hatch covers for two. The large rear oval hatch and the front hatch.
A little silicone spray on the hatches
Silicone sealant on the insides of the hatches inside each compartment. This was tricky.
Filled the cockpit with water to check leakage through the bulkheads. Fine.
Inspected the underside in detail for holes. Nothing which is not repaired.

What am I missing? Potential issues with the seam? Any suggestions most welcome. She really likes paddling this boat.

Going to have another try to day.

Many thanks
Mark

Robert Craig

Re: Leaking hatches Tiderace explore hardcore

Post by Robert Craig » Mon May 22, 2017 11:49 am

I had a leaky hatch problem. I identified the source by filling the relevant compartment with water and tipping the boat on its side and looking for drips. Should also find a seal leak, maybe?

If I had had a spare hatch (and maybe you now have one?) I'd have attempted to fit a tyre valve in that and pressurise the compartment so's to find the leak with soapy water.

My problem was an improperly bonded hatch rim. The rim was also cracked, so I replaced it.

If it hadn't been cracked, I would have tried low viscosity silicone sealant (I got as far as buying some from RS components). I'm not sure I'd trust a seal made from rigid gelcoat - but I've tried neither the low viscosity sealant not the gelcoat.

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton » Mon May 22, 2017 12:31 pm

As Robert suggests, fill the compartment and turn the boat different ways. I've also found a leak in the deck by making a dam round the suspect area with scraps of wood and gaffer tape, filling that with water and then using a camera on video inside the compartment to look for the leak.

Aled

Post by Aled » Mon May 22, 2017 5:18 pm

Hi Mark, I'd be happy to investigate this further if you can get the boat to North Wales...
Aled

JMarkW

Post by JMarkW » Tue May 23, 2017 8:55 pm

Thanks guys. Tipping the boat on its side with water inside.

Now why didn't I think of that?

Aled - I've mailed you. Many thanks.

Cheers
Mark