Shoulder injury AC joint grade 4

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
nigelhatton

Shoulder injury AC joint grade 4

Post by nigelhatton » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:21 pm

Does anyone have experience of sea kayaking after having undergone surgery for a grade 3 or 4 shoulder separation?

I took part in a Motocross style hill climb and failed to get to the top and fell on my shoulder.
Four days in hospital and an expected two months of nothing to follow but I need to get out in my kayak. So if anyone has experience of this injury what did you do and how does it effect your kayaking?

RichJ

Re: Shoulder injury AC joint grade 4

Post by RichJ » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:56 am

Hi Nigelhatton,
Sorry to hear of your injury. I had an AC joint excision and sub-acromial decompression operation last October. Paddling again after 12 weeks. Please do pm for more details of recovery, if you feel it may be of use.
All the best,
Richard

Aled

Post by Aled » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:31 pm

Grade 3, no surgery, 15 years ago. My collarbone is still unstable and the AC joint is getting more arthritic as the years go by. It doesn't stop me from paddling, but an hour flat out with wings will leave me very sore and it'll last for a good few days.
I hope your surgery settles it all into place, don't rush back into paddling, I did and I'm sure it over-stressed the healing process. I'll be looking seriously at what Rich had done recently...
Best of luck, Aled

nigelhatton

Post by nigelhatton » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:47 am

Every year my lifestyle causes an injury of some sort. Because the collarbone was also forced back as well as all ligaments ruptured it was classed as grade 4. Surgery was done here in Perpignan 36 hours later.

I know that using a wing paddle activates the Acromiumclavicular joint but it'll be trying to get in and out of the kayak that'll be a problem especially my flatwater Boat.

Luckily the weather down here is always warmer so hopefully won't have arthritis in later life.

You can still get surgery Alex, come down to a private clinique, 1300 euros.

nigelhatton

Post by nigelhatton » Mon May 22, 2017 6:45 pm

Just an update to any kayakers that have had or will have a serious shoulder injury.
Week 7 after the operation to reconnect my bones and I am back in my sea kayak. The first session was on flat water and I took very short strokes and stopped after 1 mile. We returned to our start and there was no pain in the shoulder.
2nd session a few days later was 1/2 mile, 1 hour angling then paddled back to the start. No pain but used longer strokes because wind picked up, no pain.
3rd session 1/2 hour on the sea full length strokes, little power, 2 minutes with effort then 2 minutes with less effort. No pain on any occasion.
Kayak I have weighs about 25 kgs but have a sea kayak cradle on the car with semi rotating front to allow for one arm loading from the side.

My follow up visit with the surgeon I gave him a bottle of champagne as a gift but also explained I'll do my own physiotherapy over the next four months, so far so good.

Will paddle again on the Canal du midi Saturday for 26 kilometres using a wing paddle and hopefully a normal wing rotation technique.

I don't advise anyone to follow my example of kayaking so soon but instead to follow the surgeon's and physios advice.

RichJ

Post by RichJ » Tue May 23, 2017 6:12 pm

Hi Nigel,
Really pleased your surgery has gone so well! .....Now I'm going to show my 'true colours' and be a boring Old Fart!
Has the surgeon repaired tendons in your procedure? Especially if so, please take it easy and simply do very light Physio! You may like to look up 'Shoulder.doc' on the net. It is an excellent medical hub for patients and clinicians and they also sell a 'handbook' with all sorts of exercises. The emphasis is using light resistance. Anything more and you simply employ the big muscles and not small cuff and core muscles that you are looking to strengthen. You sure as hell don't want to have to go back to the surgeon !!

All the best,

Richard

nigelhatton

Post by nigelhatton » Tue May 23, 2017 10:09 pm

Rich, the shoulder joint consists of just three bones, upper arm, shoulder blade and collar bone. The collar bone is attached to the top of the shoulder blade by three ligaments. I fell about two metres down a steep bank onto my shoulder tip and severed all three. The clavicle was pushed backwards and the shoulder separated from it.
Poor blood supply to the joint capsule and swelling post surgery will make for a slow recovery. Repair was done by drilling into the clavicle and acronium both at the same time and then a strong polyester cord pulling them both together so the three ligaments come back into contact and regrow together again.

I won't put any strong force through the shoulder but paddling the sea kayak will help but I'll be keeping out of my K1.I do range of motion exercises a few times per day.

In three months I'll be fine and paddling lake Geneva.