Valley Sirona

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Aarhus

Valley Sirona

Post by Aarhus » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:08 pm

Has anyone had the chance to paddle Valley's new Sirona? There was a post about a year ago asking the same question, but not too many answers.

It's marketed as a look-after-you-on-the-sea type sea kayak with a high degree of manoeuvrability due to its relatively short length. Sounds promising, but has anyone experienced it first hand...?

Cheers

AllanC

Re: Valley Sirona

Post by AllanC » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:56 pm

I tried both the composite and the RM Sirona 16.1 last Autumn at a Sea Kayak Oban demo day in Largs. I was looking for a RM boat for doing 4* and beyond (hopefully) and coaching from, and was blown away by the Sirona.
It turned really well, responded readily and predictably to edging, there wasn't much in the way of conditions but it felt very secure whilst giving decent feedback about what was going on. It felt pretty fast for a shorter boat than I'm used to, and I was keeping up with the variety of stuff round about on the day. I preferred the handling and characteristics of the rm to the composite.
I'm saving to buy an RM one at the moment, subject to a longer test in the spring. My buddy was looking for a boat for the exact same purposes and is also planning to buy one. Neither of us went looking to try the Sirona, but it was there and it stood out as our favourite of the day. The general opinion that I could gather from others that tried it was that everyone was impressed.
Try one if you can.
Regards.
Allan C

Chris McDaid

Post by Chris McDaid » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:35 pm

Like Allan, I paddled both the RM & composite at the demo day at Largs. The composite version is by far the most responsive kayak I've ever paddled and the RM wasn't far behind. I'd also say that both versions are likely to be very skeg dependent in any sort of conditions other than calm. Both were a joy to paddle, with the composite the better of the two

Cheers,
Chris
NDK Explorer/Dagger Stratos

lg18

Post by lg18 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:21 pm

I haven't paddled a Sirona, but a friend does and thought it a sort-of half way between a Pintail and an Avocet - great for playing, rock-hopping and surfing. Sounds great to me - I paddle a Pintail and it can be a bit of a pain when empty (I'm only 57kg), especially in flat water in even a gentle breeze), whereas I find Avocets not quite so responsive or "fun" as the Pintail, so a half-way house would be brilliant (for me). It might depend on your weight and paddling style preferences.

Lucy

Aarhus

Post by Aarhus » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:38 pm

Thank you very much for your comments, they are very helpful. As you have probably guessed, I’m on the market for a new sea kayak and have narrowed it down to the Sirona, the Cetus mv or the SKUK Explorer. Any comments or suggestions are highly appreciated!

I'm thrilled to hear that the Sirona edges predictably, feels secure and responsive at the same time. I guess it's hard to avoid a bit of skeg dependency for this playful type of sea kayak. I definitely have to try one come spring when the local kayak shop is open for business again. I have yet to see one IRL here in Denmark.

I currently own an Arrow Play (the original one, so HV at 358 liters), my first sea kayak, that has served me extremely well. However, this season I’ll be training for IPP3 certification in rougher conditions and I just feel to high up on the water in my Play as well as the secondary stability, at least to me, is somewhat to loose and with an undefined tipping point. In addition it weathercocks heavily.

I mostly do day trips so on paper the Sirona is the perfect kayak for me. I don’t mind trading in a little top speed for manoeuvrability, stability in following seas and rough weather generally. I weigh a 100 kgs off season (height 6"1) and about 96 kgs during the summer so I’m pretty close to the 16.4 as well and will have to try out both sizes. And the Cetus mv and the SKUK Explorer, it's a dirty job.... :)

Regards,

René

michelin

Post by michelin » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:19 am

If you mostly do day trips then I would consider a Romany surf. I have paddled all the boats you are interested in and would say the Cetus was the most comfortable one to be in but you do need to use the skeg with it a lot same with the Sirona does need a bit of skeg. The Explorer tracks well without the need of Skegness and is very good in rough water. The Surf is excellent in rough water never needs skeg turns easily and is an excellent day boat. A couple of my friends have just bought the P&H Aries and they love them on the day trips we do playing in tideraces on the way but don't know what they would be like on a longer trip. From the boats you've mentioned though I think you should add the Surf to your list to try I think you'll be pleasantly surprised

michelin

Post by michelin » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:49 pm

michelin wrote:If you mostly do day trips then I would consider a Romany surf. I have paddled all the boats you are interested in and would say the Cetus was the most comfortable one to be in but you do need to use the skeg with it a lot same with the Sirona does need a bit of skeg. The Explorer tracks well without the need of skeg and is very good in rough water. The Surf is excellent in rough water never needs skeg turns easily and is an excellent day boat. A couple of my friends have just bought the P&H Aries and they love them on the day trips we do playing in tideraces on the way but don't know what they would be like on a longer trip. From the boats you've mentioned though I think you should add the Surf to your list to try I think you'll be pleasantly surprised

Murray carp

Post by Murray carp » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:26 pm

Have you thought about the valley Gemini? I have the ST version and apart from the valley seat really love paddleing it in surf and on day trips. Although I haven't paddled a Sirona to compare it too so can't comment on the Sirona

I'm 62kg however so it might be a little small for you.

rhysie

Post by rhysie » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:12 pm

I've had a Sirona 16.1RM for about 9 months. I bought it as a play boat to replace my aging Atlantic RM for surfing and rock gardening. It is extremely manoeuvrable and surfing is brilliant fun. Having tried a Gemini SP RM I think that the Sirona is the more manoeuvrable kayak.
Having said that the Sirona has a very flat hull with a lot of rocker and not much keeI. I still miss my Atlantic when the wind gets up, the Sirona is very skeg dependant. The Atlantic is also more dependable in a following sea. The Sirona is a lot like my Cetus in a following sea, hard work. Like the Cetus though it does track better with a load.

Fozzy

Post by Fozzy » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:36 pm

I have a Sirona RM, a Gemini SP RM and a Cetus MV.

I tend to tell people think of the Sirona as a Gemini on speed. It's certainly quite a bit faster, and I feel it's just as maneuverable and as others have said it's very skeg dependent, but does track better with a load. It's become my everyday boat and I'll probably end up selling the Gemini.

I don't really think it's fair to compare the Sirona to the Cetus, as they are completely different beasts. The Cetus is a much longer faster cruising expedition boat that many use purely as dayboats. It is pretty maneuverable for it's size but nothing like the Sirona. If I'm going on a journey with very little in the way of rockhopping along the way this is what I'll take. If I'm going to be playing it will definitely be the Sirona.

I think Valley pretty much nailed it with the Sirona with their brief of "If you want one boat for everything". It's reasonably fast, can take kit for a few days, allows you to play whenever you want. And above all it's fun!