Tandem kayak

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Kayak_ben

Tandem kayak

Post by Kayak_ben » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:57 pm

Which tandem kayak do people recommend ? Interested in getting one in the future for when guests visit and don't want to paddle in their own single

twopigs

Re: Tandem kayak

Post by twopigs » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:30 pm

Not much choice really - how about an open canoe instead?
Canoeing - bigger boat, broken paddle, more skill!

Mac50L

Post by Mac50L » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:58 pm

twopigs wrote:Not much choice really - how about an open canoe instead?
I certainly wouldn't consider an open canoe seaworthy and certainly not in the conditions I've taken my double. Which one? I designed and built my own and one of the early trips was a 38 day circumnavigation of Vanu Levu, Fiji.
Also consider over 30 knots of wind with the wind picking up great swirls of sea, the front paddler a teenager of little experience, a short steep chop and us just jogging along, hunkering down, beam-on, in the 40 knot gusts until they past. Another commercially designed double, a lot of rocker, too beamy, was blown over just behind us at one point.

No Kayak

Post by No Kayak » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:19 pm

Have you considered a folding one? Always had a soft spot for the Nautiraid kayaks.

twopigs

Post by twopigs » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:37 pm

Mac50L wrote:
twopigs wrote:Not much choice really - how about an open canoe instead?
I certainly wouldn't consider an open canoe seaworthy and certainly not in the conditions I've taken my double. Which one? I designed and built my own and one of the early trips was a 38 day circumnavigation of Vanu Levu, Fiji.
Also consider over 30 knots of wind with the wind picking up great swirls of sea, the front paddler a teenager of little experience, a short steep chop and us just jogging along, hunkering down, beam-on, in the 40 knot gusts until they past. Another commercially designed double, a lot of rocker, too beamy, was blown over just behind us at one point.
Oops - failed to spot that this was the sea kayaking forum. (Hangs head in shame....)

Absolutely agree with the need to consider the environment - but maybe if I had a guest who was not keen on paddling a single I'd be very careful about getting into the same kayak ..... unless conditions were calm.
Canoeing - bigger boat, broken paddle, more skill!

ian the badger

Post by ian the badger » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:06 pm

We have a Tahe marine tandem mini, absolutely love it, it is fast manoeuvrable with sufficient storage for a few days camping. Take a look.
http://tahe-marine.taheoutdoors.com/tm_ ... -mini.html

Mark Graham

Post by Mark Graham » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:18 pm

No Kayak wrote:Have you considered a folding one? Always had a soft spot for the Nautiraid kayaks.
Please see my advert in the sea kayaks for sale section - I've a Nautiraid GR11 500 looking for a good home.

Mark

swagstaff

Post by swagstaff » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:13 pm

We use the tandem mini lots for day and 1/2 day trips with families & we sell them in Sea Kayak Oban.
We also have the Northshore Atlantic Double and the Valley Aleut 2 and a Necky Lochsha T which are all available to demo.
NB we have one Tahe Tandem Mini that weighs only 22.5kgs!!!!
WHITEWATER ALL YEAR LONG

Ken_T

Post by Ken_T » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:03 am

Hi,
I have a number of tandems as well as solo. I have a Prijon Odessey & a Rainbow Atlantis which are plastic & relatively easy to transport, but only have about half the hatch volume of most solo boats, so for multiday expeditions you need to be quite minimalistic. I also have an Aluet 2 which is faster also it's hatch volume is about equivalent to 1.8 x a typical solo boat, so is much better for multi day expeditions, but it is very heavy & at 22' long transport is not so easy (on my car which is quite long (I can get the roof bars about 1.5 metres apart) I use a set of V bars, on my van where I can have the bars 2 metres apart I use J cradles).
Ken

StanGuz

Post by StanGuz » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:19 pm

I had an Aleut Sea 2....worse decision of my life was selling it. Incredible boat.
What could possibly go wrong......?

nickcrowhurst

Post by nickcrowhurst » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:59 pm

swagstaff wrote: we have one Tahe Tandem Mini that weighs only 22.5kgs!!!!
Is that a special model? The Tahe website gives an average weight of 37 kg for this kayak:
http://tahe-marine.taheoutdoors.com/tm_ ... -mini.html
Windermere Canoe Kayak gives the average weight as 39 Kg
I'm particularly interested in a lightweight double when paddling with my wife in the UK. When in the USA we use a Current Designs Double Vision which weighs 31 kg. In the UK we currently use a Wilderness Systems NorthStar RM, which is very heavy .
Perhaps there is an error in the Tahe website, as it gives the same weight for the "outdoor" and "outdoor elite" versions.
Nick.

ian the badger

Post by ian the badger » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:36 pm

My wife and I paddle a Tahe Tandem mini, it is the light weight carbon jobby and weighs in around 23kg (I think) We absolutely love it, big comfortable cockpit, stable, manoeuvrable and surprisingly nimble. Thoroughly recommend it.

swagstaff

Post by swagstaff » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:15 pm

Nick the 22.5kg mini is a special we bought in from Tahe. We also have the Kevlar carbon both in our kayak school and in stock.
WHITEWATER ALL YEAR LONG

nickcrowhurst

Post by nickcrowhurst » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:57 pm

That's good to know, thank you. That's about half the weight of our North Star.
Nick.