P&H hammer

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Conor Buckboy

P&H hammer

Post by Conor Buckboy » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:29 pm

My friend is hoping to invest in a P&H hammer for surfing, touring and whitewater use. Has anyone got any reviews or reviews if the have used or got one themselves. Thank you.

Darren S

Re: P&H hammer

Post by Darren S » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:55 pm

Hi Conor

The Hammer is such a fun boat on the sea; round rocks, in the surf and tide races - it's also great fun on the river. It's very comfortable and the adjustments are great so you can get really connected to the boat. It also benefits from 4 hatches, meaning you can keep everything to hand and accessible. I've used it in a variety of environments, mainly on the sea and have always had a blast in it.

Points to consider; It weighs a ton before you even get any kit in it, I guess that's the trade off for the bomber construction but something to think about if you've got to move it about on your own.
It's slow for a sea boat due to the length of the water line and pronounced rocker, when paddling with a group who are in more standard length boats I have to work hard to keep up and if they are half decent paddlers I just can't get anywhere near them. The short length and rocker means it doesn't carry its speed very well in lively gaps it really needs to be driven hard from the front to get any speed up, which it quickly looses again, not always ideal when your linking gaps. And in big surf on diagonal runs it won't carry the speed in the same way a longer boat will so again, be prepared to work hard to avoid getting drawn backwards over the falls....not that this is a massive problem ad it's easy to roll.

It really is a great boat, I guess it just comes down to how and what you want to use it for. The honest truth is I keep toying with selling mine, but then I paddle it and just have such a great time that I then don't want to....for a week or two. I will end up selling it and getting a delphin as its more suited to my local coastline where I live and work, i.e it's faster for getting to where I want to go and I can use it for work with clients. If money (and garage space) weren't a factor I'd have both as they are both excellent boats. The Gemini SP and Valley Serona in plastic are also worth considering, closer to the Delphin but great boats in the rocks and waves - not sure about the TR Vortex it's one I've yet to get my hands on.

Just a couple of thoughts...

Cheers,

Darren.

active4seasons

Post by active4seasons » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:31 am

Don't forget the Jackson Karma RG, a better boat than the hammer IMHO - try one in big stuff - its great!
Developing Desire for Adventure!

Jersey Kayak

Post by Jersey Kayak » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:09 am

We have both the Hammer and Jackson Karma RG.
In terms of build quality and out-fitting the Karma is way ahead of the Hammer.
I find the Hammer is a bit overloaded with hatches and other features that will appeal to the river paddler who is used to seeing such things in a river boat. In part this may stem from the craft being targeted at the river paddler who is looking at getting into sea kayaking/rock gardens. I first saw the Hammer at the Paddle Expo a few years ago and was told it was then retailing at £950 as river paddlers were unlikely to pay much more. The design was seen as a way to try and attract river paddlers into sea and coastal fun.
Try to demo both as a lot will depend on the padding you are going to do in this type of craft.
Both are great fun in rock gardens and coastal exploration.